London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 22 messages
09/02/2014 at 20:16

Judging by all the droppings in the neighbouring plot, rabbits are a problem on the allotment. So...when all the brambles are cleared... I've decided to build a rabbit proof fence as I'd be gutted if the first veg grown was eaten by them and air rifles aren't allowed on the site.

How difficult can it be....I have some 4ft high rabbit wire...Some plot holders have advised the wire can be buried vertically in the soil, other's have said it needs to be bent out in an 'L' shape, some silly Q's now, what height do the posts need to be, I'm thinknig 5ft, how far apart should they be and how far into the ground should they go so the fence is firm.

The fence would be on a slope which me thinks might make it more difficult to build.

Thanks for your replies in advance. 

09/02/2014 at 20:32

I suspect that getting rid of your briambles will improve matters - rabbits love to shelter in a briar patch - remember Brer Rabbit   They will be sheltering there and popping out to raid the nearby allotments.

Yes, the fencing needs to be turned out at the bottom in the direction of where the rabbits are coming from - some details here

http://frontpage.woodland-trust.org.uk/communitywoodlandnetwork/publications/documents/Spec%203-09.pdf 

09/02/2014 at 23:10

I'm in the process of fencing to keep the rabbits out of our garden.  Our fencing is about 1m high and yes, in an L shape about a foot under the ground going out towards the rabbits trying to get in, if you see what I mean.  I don't think rabbits jump very high but I could be wrong.  My experience is they just eat what they see literally in front of their noses.  The part of our garden next to the wood is on a slope too but the fencing seems to be ok.  The posts just need to be high enough to take the fencing and ours are about 2/3 metres apart. 

More than happy to be contradicted on this advice though ... I don't think I'll rest easy until we have a whole year without any furry visitors. 

10/02/2014 at 11:58

I thought the fences had to go 18" underground to be sure. Let me check that.

Various search results say 1m, 36" or 48" high and some say 6" deep where some say bend the bottom 6" outwards along the ground and some say you should bury 12" of it across the bottom of and up the garden side of a 6" trench.

They dig deeper than 6". Trust me on that.

The weakness in a fence is the gate. They go under gates. If you want a genuinely impregnable rabbit-proof allotment, you'll need a solid, level sill onto which the closed gate fits snugly so they can't go through a gap there.

10/02/2014 at 13:06
Charlie November wrote (see)

I thought the fences had to go 18" underground to be sure. Let me check that.

Various search results say 1m, 36" or 48" high and some say 6" deep where some say bend the bottom 6" outwards along the ground and some say you should bury 12" of it across the bottom of and up the garden side of a 6" trench.

They dig deeper than 6". Trust me on that.

But are they smart enough to start digging far enough back from the bottom of the fence to avoid the bit that's been turned up?

10/02/2014 at 15:48

Hmm, are you on my allotment site?

We have been rabbit-free since setting up the site 3 years ago but the little darlings have just made an appearance these last few weeks. Got a message from my neighbour up there to tell me the apple trees have been stripped 

I had originally fenced off my plot with sturdy posts and 4ft high windbreak netting, so my plan is to just fasten chicken wire fencing on the outside of this and I can keep the benefit of the windbreaks. Looking at buying chicken wire from my local farm supplies, they have different sizes. Do people recommend 25mm holes or will 31mm be enough?

10/02/2014 at 16:22

Just to add my experiences - rabbits can't jump very high but they can climb up and over 1 metre high fencing, so go taller. They can dig under anything, including my dry-stone walls. Get small-size mesh chicken wire as the babies can get through the larger size. Don't expect it to last long as rabbits can bite through the wire, you have to keep checking for breaches. And don't expect to win - the rabbits always find a way!

10/02/2014 at 19:09
Charlie November wrote (see)

The weakness in a fence is the gate. They go under gates. If you want a genuinely impregnable rabbit-proof allotment, you'll need a solid, level sill onto which the closed gate fits snugly so they can't go through a gap there.

Couldn't agree more with this Charlie November.  Our gate is on a slope and I've had to fit some garden edging to block the gap.  A pain in the backside to move every time I want to open the gate, but whatever it takes ...

landgirl100 wrote (see)

Just to add my experiences - rabbits can't jump very high but they can climb up and over 1 metre high fencing, so go taller. And don't expect to win - the rabbits always find a way!

As much as I don't want to admit it yet, I think you may be right landgirl100

10/02/2014 at 19:17

It al starts off very innocently 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/37338.jpg?width=186&height=271&mode=max

But once they get the idea ......

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/37339.jpg?width=800&height=350&mode=max

.... there's no stopping them 

10/02/2014 at 21:16

Sounds like it's a war out there....I'm certainly not going to let them get my veg without a fight  

I had thought about the gate and have a nice long slab to put under it, I even thought about making sure the gate is wide enough for a wheel barrow.

I've 50m of chicken wire and this isn't very scientific but was thinking a post every three strides. There's a huge pile of stones at the bottom of the plot, how does this sound, I was thinking of filling the outside of the trench with soil over the buried wire and the inside trench-half with soil and top part with stones. 

Didn't know rabbits could climb or eat through wire though  the wire's 3' 7' wide, so even if I only go 6 ' deep and then with the bit bent outwards, isn't going to leave much wire above ground.

I was thinking 5ft posts but 6ft posts seem a better option and then more wire could be attached to the top if need be and they can be driven into the ground further.  

Could do with a perimetre fence like the one's round a prison    

10/02/2014 at 21:48

I'm glad that landgirl mentioned the fact that rabbits are good jumpers.  So probably you will need a double run of wire netting.  Might I suggest.  Take out a trench at least two feet wide and two feet or more deep.  The ide is to bury a good measure of the mesh.  The buried part, needs to slope back away from the protected area.  Should a rabbit decide to tunnel in, it will probably dig close to the fence.  I do hope that the other plot holders will help out with the cost, and of course the work.  Also make sure the supporting posts are good and strong.  Possibly bugs bunny isn't the only visitor.  Foxes are very inquisitive, they will certainl lean on the wire until it gives way.  Don't forget.  A fox can jump over six feet.

I wish you the best of luck.

PS.  Have you thought about stocking your freezer up?

10/02/2014 at 23:29

Mike. I'm a new plot holder and the  plots on offer when I was asked to choose, being the last in a list of 34 were not one's you could plant in without lots of work.     

Take your point about sharing the cost and helping with the labour. I'm happy to pay for the fence, I've reckied cheap materials but would like some help in building it after all it will protect neighbouring plots from rabbits.  

I've not met the neighbouring plot holders yet, one's a newbie like me but that plot is easy pezzie compared to mine, after the grass was cut the first week, beds are now being dug over.

I was thinking a trench a couple of feet wide so the stones would crate a path with membrane under to prevent weeds and stuff growing through but not that deep.        

11/02/2014 at 08:31

Mike, unless Zoomer is keeping chickens on the plot, Reynard may turn out to be an ally in the war on rabbits 

11/02/2014 at 20:20

Not sure if they get fox's on the site, it wasn't a Q asked, do they eat veg or just rabbits

11/02/2014 at 20:22

Foxes quite like a few strawberries and blackberries, and they also eat quite a few earthworms and beetles and the like, but fortunately they don't like veg with their rabbits 

11/02/2014 at 21:21

More than happy to share a few strawberries with our friend Reynard

Doesn't look like poultry or animals can be kept on the site although one plot holder keeps bee's. 

11/02/2014 at 23:39

Please don't take this reply the wrong way.  Believe me.  This old whatstit loves you lot so much, the last thing I would wish is to offend anyone.  However. Foxes will eat whatever is going.  Yes, fruits berries etc along with worms.  Have you ever sat and watched a fox jumping up and down and then pouncing and drawing out a worm.  It's so amusing.  Val and I over the years have welcomed foxes to our tiny garden.  Our motto was.  There is room for us all.  In fact the wild life was here long before us.  Getting away from the sentimental thoughts and feelings.  Any food waste off my table, is readilly shared with the present fox family.  They thoroughly enjoy, boiled and raost tatties, cabbage, sprouts and cauli etc. They love the sausage rolls I treat them to, along with dog biscuites etc.  For those less fortunate to have some old F*** to care for them.  My old dad, now long gone and I have grown much on the then plot.  We have experienced foxy digging up parsnips, turnips mangols and the like, as well as helping themselves to fruit off the bushes.  Not being crude, but if you have foxes in your area.  Take a peek at their droppings.  Yes you will find many berries, look further.  You will probably find half of your dustbin and kitchen.  Bye the bye lily growers.  Reynard just loves lily bulbs, to him it's like a chocolate gateure is to us.

Foxes and rabbits.  And yes cats also. It is fact that foxy will so often give way to the cat.  When it come to chasing and catching a bunny lunch.  Foxy is an opportunist.  Why chase after it.  Wait until it become roadkill or pops its clogs.  Foxy and chicken.  More often than not.  A fox in the coup results in the chicken dying of heart attack.  Foxy is so confused etc.  Mad chuck burns itself out.  Foxy thinks, waste not want not and walks away with a bird in mouth.

Must add.  I used to keep ferrets and work them.  Might it surprise you to learn.  Many times I and my mate have gone to net up a rabbit warren, only to find that foxy also lives in the same hole.

Truly.  Life is full of mysteries.

A tale yes.  But true.

12/02/2014 at 00:28

Mike. Happy to be wrong but I don't think it's allowed now for people to go rabbiting with ferret's and net's.

I remember as a child one of my brothers kept ferrets, as long as he asked the farmers permission to go rabbiting on their land, he could, oddly enough he's a vegatarian and has never liked eating meat but would bring home a rabbit or two for the stew pot.

12/02/2014 at 07:36

Hi Zoomer - it's still perfectly legal to go rabbiting with ferrets etc, with permission of the landowner and as long as all laws regarding animal welfare are observed. 

http://www.droitwichferretwelfare.co.uk/index.php/the-law-relating-to-working-ferrets-in-the-field 

Much safer and more humane than the inexperienced taking potshots at them which is so often the only alternative when an area is over-run. 

I've grown up in the countryside and known foxes etc all my life and have never known them to dig and eat raw parsnips, turnips etc in the field - they may dig around them looking for worms and slugs, but I've never known them to eat them - possibly Mike's used to more urban foxes who are known to have different diets to rural ones ........ 

12/02/2014 at 19:12

Thanks for the info Dove, useful to know.. 

1 to 20 of 22 messages