London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
1 to 20 of 26 messages
26/04/2014 at 02:35

I have two little fluffy bunnies (wild ones) munching their way through my Bruneria, heucheras and possibly my foxgloves and I'm finding it hard to resist the Elmer Fudd urges, bang bang!

Tried covering them and promoting a bit of growth but it just gives them more munching material and the plants are suffering, last year it was Scabious which they used to chew like liquorice sticks and leave the flower heads. Any tips before the lead flies?

26/04/2014 at 03:01

Get a nice pot, and a good recipie.  yum!

26/04/2014 at 06:14

Depends how big your casserole is - if it's smallish get them now - if it's bigger wait a few weeks - there will be more of them 

26/04/2014 at 21:23

Oh yes, I've been there! The addition of two healthy young cats solved the problem overnight, I have a bunny-free garden and most seem to have moved out of the field next to it, too. It all depends on whether you prefer cats to rabbits, although a Jack Russell might do a similar job.

26/04/2014 at 21:25

we have rabbits, foxes and a resident buzzard: they seem to have established an equilibrium. 

26/04/2014 at 22:01

We have a hare he sunbathes next to the bbq, i`m starting to get fed up with him now he`s eated all my brooms 

26/04/2014 at 22:08

It makes you wonder why you bother! But we always find a way us gardeners ...  Buy a cheap pack of chilli pepper powder, sprinkle on the plants that they seem to like and hopefully, they will sneeze and sneeze and move on to someone elses treasures.  If it rains you have to reapply - worth a try - I am bugged by muntjacs, rabbits and the usual slugs and snails....It's still worth the effort though - I am finding plants the muntjacs don't like

26/04/2014 at 22:55

What a brilliant idea! Will buy a catering size pack!!

26/04/2014 at 23:13

Tasty, tasty, very very tasty.  It is so sad at times.  Most gardeners are also nature lovers.  Generally we do our best to, live and let live.  However thyere are times such as this.  Sad to say.  Most times we blame nature, God etc.  Actually.  We are the ones to blame.  Who got rid of the predators. Who upset the apple cart?

27/04/2014 at 07:59

You can blame the Normans for introducing them in the first place!  There's some argument as to whether or not it was the Romans - but there's no real evidence that they used them in the way that the Normans did - i.e. for meat and fur.   It certainly was the Normans who created special rabbit enclosures - "warrens" - and although some rabbits did escape, they didn't last long outside the warren as they were caught and eaten by the peasantry, who were only too glad to find a source of meat.  As far as I know rabbits were one of the few wild creatures which they were allowed to hunt/trap without getting into too much trouble with the local "landlords".

I'm not sure about when "myxi" was introduced into the UK - it certainly wasn't what you'd call "an issue" when I was a child. I wonder whether it was another deliberate introduction, relatively recently & perhaps from Australia, because the introduction of rabbits there caused a great problem too. Apparently myxi is spread via fleas and passes from one rabbit to another when they are underground in the burrows and come into close contact with one another.  I don't ever remember anyone mentioning myxi in hares and this is probably because their habits are somewhat different and they don't go underground at all.

Although there have been several myxi outbreaks round here in the past few years, it doesn't seem to be nearly so severe in its effects as was once the case.  Perhaps those rabbits which survived it in the past developed some sort of immunity.  I think it more likely that the survivors were in fact those rabbits which were "outcasts" - in that they spent less time underground in a group than most did.  Their habits have certainly changed, in that years ago I never saw rabbits other than at dawn and dusk. Now I see them in my garden,  in the adjoining lanes,  & on my lawn throughout the day and have come to the conclusion that perhaps this is an inherited trait from those earlier survivors.  Nowadays they're somewhat smaller too - again maybe an inherited trait from the weaker "outcasts".  Perhaps one of the few times when the weakest - rather than the strongest - survived.

27/04/2014 at 08:17

Myxomatosis was introduced into the UK in the early 1950s - as a small child in very rural Bedfordshire I remember our Postlady carrying a mallet in her bicycle basket in order to 'despatch' the myxie rabbits she came across on her delivery round.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myxomatosis 

27/04/2014 at 08:28

a rabbit with "myxy" is a truly heartbreaking, pitiful sight.

27/04/2014 at 09:35

I agree Hostasfan - heartbreaking 

Even as a pre-school child I could see that for an afflicted rabbit a quick despatch was a kindness. 

27/04/2014 at 09:58

well ,I have been told ,if its anything like foxes,that either  to use human urine around the edge the garden will deter a fox  or as of late a Alpaca but maybe rabbits are not afraid of Alpcas.

27/04/2014 at 10:31

Nothing deters rabbits once they get going. They'll find a way in if they can. 

27/04/2014 at 13:37

Have you tried using 18G wire mesh around the plot perimeter. I have just taken over the other half of a full size plot and have meshed (at some expense)  around the perimeter fence , digging a 1.5 - 2 feet deep trench, anchoring the mesh at it's base with bricks and stapling to the fence, then back filling . Hopefully , no more rabbits! If not, I will need a gattling gun plus lots of wood to make a sentry post at the corner of the plot . 

27/04/2014 at 14:58

I live by a railway embankment and have had resident rabbits for years, with most of my planting in tall pots out of their way,  then late last year I replaced all my fence panels, and removed their access through broken fencing. I am now bravely planting in the ground again and waiting to see if the little b×××××s find their way in again. Discovered they don't like thyme, but you can only plant so much thyme... They also don't eat potentilla, or haven't done in my garden.

27/04/2014 at 19:53

Good luck Katiesgran.  Will have to try that thyme idea. - I wonder if it's the scent or the taste? rabbits don't like potato leaves probably cos of the poisonous alkaloids in the leaves so I'm clearing the old half of my plot with them. Rhubarb leaves also contain a poison and are solanaceous like the tomato plant  - they won't eat them either. It might be worth growing tomatoes next to your fence  -  that might put them off plus you get the fruit as a bonus.

08/05/2014 at 07:27

The RHS has a great list of plants that rabbits don't like. My rabbits disagree with some on that list but generally it's a great help. However, they do like digging up plants (for no apparent reason that I can find). I have a row of lavender and they are constantly digging them up although they don't eat them. Would love to find a way of stopping them digging up the plants so they can have a chance at growing!

08/05/2014 at 08:02

This will do it 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/45123.jpg?width=336&height=350&mode=max

1 to 20 of 26 messages