London (change)
Today 11°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
4 messages
29/04/2013 at 20:40

Is there a plant to discourage rabbits be it tree or shrub ? 

29/04/2013 at 21:12

No

29/04/2013 at 21:59

Hi Bob-had a big rabbit problem at my last house and we tried loads of so called 'rabbit proof' plants- they weren't! We found that most of the damage was done by baby rabbits and once they got bigger they had worked out which plants they didn't like - bit too late  for our plants coming through initially though! The established plants already there were things like berberis, juniper, honeysuckle, cotoneaster, heather, rhododendrons, escallonia and amelanchier lamarckii (snowy mespilus) There was also alstroemeria, alchemilla, ferns and schitzostylus, and we had several cherry trees and birches. I think if you  can physically create a barrier to let them get established it helps because they'll still have a go at them initially- we did this with clematis which they left alone once it was established and strong enoughto fight off their nibbling. Some years they were worse than others.

Failing that it's a dog and a gun I'm afraid!

29/04/2013 at 23:07

I was just about to say there's an animal that says woof, likes to pee up lamp-posts and runs on bonios, long walks and love.  Depending on type, may do more damage than good.  Rescue greyhounds good, they'll chase the damn things away, and don't need much exercise (they're very lazy dogs, really), and never met a nasty greyhound yet.  And you don't trip over them like small yappy-type dogs.

My preference is a GSD.  Would love a newfoundland, but husband says NO because of the slobber, and I don't really have time to groom one.  Need to win the lotto so I can move husband out and a couple of hoofing great newfies in.

email image
4 messages