London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
12 messages
21/04/2012 at 12:27

Has anybody set up a system for collecting water from the gutter of a metal greenhouse. The problem is setting up the downpipe to a small square gutter end.

Chris Dennison.

21/04/2012 at 12:59

I used an old bit of plastic guttering and tied it to the squared end and secured with duck tape-all sound a bit makeshift but it works for me-you can buy kits to do the job.

21/04/2012 at 13:22

if you can remember what make your greenhouse is, you should be able to get the fitting. Mine has square section guttering, but the fitting came with it - it's a Baron from Homebase. I fixed a length of hospipe to the outlet with a jubilee clip. Duck tape is so last year!

21/04/2012 at 17:09

My husband fitted a small piece of electrical cable tray into the end of the gutter end of the greenhouse leaving a piece about 4 inches sticking out, he then pushed the tray end into a piece of flexible hose. It must be a good fit, otherwise the tray will fall out. This means we can now put the hose into any kind of water retainer.  You can get this cable tray from any well known DIY store. You should with any luck get a piece the correct size. Its worth trying, we have had ours in place for years now. Hope this makes sense.   

23/04/2012 at 16:40

Went down to Wickes, bought 2 plastic buckets £1+ each and 2 lengths of white overflow pipe (2m) £1+. Check the diameter of your greenhouse downpipe first.

23/04/2012 at 21:26

SL111, That's the point, Christopher doesn't have downpipes, just like my metal greenhouse. We both have the simple square section guttering. I've been wondering how to adapt my own one.

23/04/2012 at 21:30
Have a look on the Greenfingers website. They've got what looks like square section kits on sale at the moment.
23/04/2012 at 21:44
23/04/2012 at 22:58

I put a piece of radiator hose from an old car on mine. They come with jubilee clips on and I hooked it on to the edge to hold it in place. Has worked a treat for years. I tried to buy the green house attachments - complete waste of time and money as they kept falling off - my green house is fairly old and it seemed nothing would work on it.

24/04/2012 at 09:48

Right, I've just ordered a pair of Gardman Greenhouse Collection Kits - £6.99 each - from www.greenfingers.com If they don't fit my old greenhouse guttering, I will play with them until they do. Thanks for the tip off, Figrat.

24/04/2012 at 17:28

I have discovered B&Q have fittings and I am going to have a look, about £8.

Chris Dennison

08/05/2012 at 20:44

Well the kits arrived today and, as I expected, they don't fit. The metal guttering on my greenhouse is not in fact square but the outside edge is not vertical but sloping. 45mins of wittling with a Stanley knife and the use of some silicon sealant and they are now in place. I'll probably link one side with the other and fit a water butt.

email image
12 messages