Start a new thread

1 to 9 of 9 replies

 Hi,  My garden has a raised bed made of bricks and unfortunately some of the bricks are becoming worn and pieces keep falling off.  I like this raised bed which I have planted with alpines but do not know what to do about the bricks other than knock it down which I definitely don't want to do .  Has anyone any ideas on how to mend it please?


A bricklayer will be able to take out the 'spalled' bricks and replace them.  It's a skilled job but won't take him long. 

Thanks Dovefromabove, I think that is what I'll have to do but I seem to remember reading about something that could be used to cover the bricks. Unfortunately it was a couple of years ago and I can't remember what it was.  I wonder if concrete would do it?


You could render them and paint it


But it wouldn't look as good, would it



Normal bricks will always do this if soil is behind them. Damp gets in and the frost will split them.The blue industrial bricks used for damp courses are more resistant,that is what I would use.


Engineering bricks are frost-resistant, and come in different colours as well as the blue/black nowadays, although some colours are more prevalent in some areas.

Definitely engineering brick is the way to go. It does not take long here for the frost to get at 'normal' brick especially if they are in contact with damp soil all the time.

Many thanks for all the replies, it has given me a lot to think about. A rebuild would be nice but means taking all the plants out.  To render it would be quicker and easier I suppose.  It will give me food for thought over the winter and a job for the spring.

Sign up or log in to post a reply