10 messages
20/09/2013 at 16:54

I have a rampant bushy hebe which needs a severe prune. However nearly sall the leaf growth is on the surface of the plant, so hard pruning will expose bare stems inside the bush.

How can I cut it back and still leave it looking good?

20/09/2013 at 16:56
20/09/2013 at 17:05

Be careful.

I had 3 Midsummer Beauties, didn't realise how big they got. When I cut them back they put on plenty of new growth but all died back over the next couple of years. I had to start again andhave  put it way back from any paths so it can just grow til it stops

20/09/2013 at 17:17

Macbone, do you know the variety or can you post a picture.  The dwarf varieties often do not respond to pruning and are best replaced.  The larger leaved tall ones can rejuvenate from a hard cut back.  They are all best,pruned annually.   

20/09/2013 at 17:24

I have a couple called 'Lisa' and I just leave them as they don't seem to be a very fast growing variety. I had one in the garden originally that was big and half of it died due to it being top heavy and it split. The remaining half is very spindly but still looks nice.

I suppose you could just prune the lower branches, to raise the crown so you still have the leaf growth.

23/09/2013 at 10:59

Thanks to all for the replies on my problem.

My hebe is hebe parviflora angustifolia; it's in great shape and has grown consistently over a period of years, but my problem is that all the leaves are near the outer surface of the plant, and that the necessary severe pruning will reveal a lot of straggly bare branches.

Should I just do a series of superficial prunings over the next few years?

23/09/2013 at 17:26

I would prune this in spring now. I cut back quite severely but not Imto very old wood. ,done in early spring and it should regrow nicely.  I use secateurs and shears to maintain shape.

24/09/2013 at 21:23

If you are planning a hard prune use some of the new shoots for cuttings now  in case the original plant doesn't recover. They root easily, even on a window sill in any normal rooting compost. Once the spring arives and you have some cuttings rooted you can hard prune in the knowledge that you can replace the shrub if it dies.

26/09/2013 at 22:17

Hebe was the Greek goddess of youth. Old hebe plants never quite recover their early vigour. A well-named group of plants.

I have found that small-leaved species of hebe respond to pruning rather better than large-leaved species.

09/07/2014 at 19:08

Many thanks , that was very useful, I am off to get the secateurs now.

email image
10 messages