Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Rat free bird feeding

Does anyone know how to feed birds without encouraging rodents?

In a rural environment with gardens backing onto farm fields it is impossible to eradicate rodent populations. However whilst wishing to set up feeding stations for birds, I do not want to encourage rats etc.  I have deterred rooks by surrounding feeders with large mesh enclosures, but am at a loss to figure out a way to set up feeders where rats cannot get to them.

Currently even when feeders are on long wires the resident rat manages to shin down to steal the seed.  I have also had to stop putting apples out for blackbirds because these go the same way.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

Hi Pearl4 I am in the same situation of being in a rural environment feeding the birds. I like some of the food on the ground too, some species are exclusively ground feeders and I like to attract them.

The simplest solution is to shoot the rats with a .22 rifle. I want to feed the birds and I want my compost heap and as I don't use bait that became the only practical solution for me.

• Exact same problem here. Just too many rodents. We can cope with some of them but the rats. Nope. And they're big, they're the size of shoe boxes. Shooting them works for us too! Same with the gray squirrels! 

• Anon anonAnon anon Posts: 12

Try a metal pole feeding station with a squirrel baffle on the pole. They then can't get up the pole to get to the feeders. 

You could also try the Pest Off bird feeders 

http://www.homgar.com/wild-bird-care/squirrel-proof-bird-feeders

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

.22 works well, if you don't want to shoot then mix the hottest chili powder with the seed, the birds wont be effected but any mammals (rats, squirrels etc.) will take one nibble and not come back

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Hang the feeders from a horizontal wire stretched between two stout uprights, or trees.  If you have the feeders at least 1 metre from each end, even squirrels have trouble let alone rats.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.