Register with us or sign in
in Problem solving
I have signs of a large furry inrtuder in my compost heap. As they carry nasty diseases ,can anyone tell me if it is safe to use the compost after i have got rid of it . Also any advice on how to get rid of Mr Ratty.
its a black dalek type .
yes as long as poison you used is not left.we had a bad time with rats and we had to get the council in to help get rid of some of them.you will always have mice and rats around but you have to try not to put scraps of food in the compost even fruit.They also find compost heaps good for breeding.Do not leave bird food available loose.We have a neighbours cat who keeps the rats and mice under control (catches a lot).you will never get rid of them.
my cat is a good mouser and often brings me a present. She has not as yet deposited a rat in the front room. She managed to force a pigion through the cat flap. I am hoping the rat has got the smell of the cat and scarpered.I have stopped feeding the birds some time ago for just that reason of encouraging rats but still I have one or probably a Mrs as well
i shall give the dalek a good kick but shall be ready to run in the opposite direction,. Best send hubby out there!
Same problem, I have a allotment my compost is in open frames and is ready for youse . But a colony rats has camped in it , Is It safe to youse ?
Safe to use, After all rats wander all over your allotment soil when you are not there,so what is the difference between that and your compost?
Point taken , but still wish to be safe. Female rats carry disease in there urine better safe than sorry ?
Chi never used to enquire whether male or female when he piled the little bodies from the bus garage behind the front door at the old house
Well, T Bird if there was any problem then me and 'her indoors' would be dead a long time ago. We have had rats nesting in the compost heap every year for the last 20 years or so (country living). Now admittedly our rats are field rats rather than sewer rats (no sewers here) so less likely to be extremely diseased, but even so.
And the animal manure which farmers spread on their fields is just as likely to be contaminated with rat urine, or in the case of the chicken manure which is spread on the land round here, every bacterium you can imagine, you could get totally paranoid about it.
Soil bacteria are excellent at sterilising compost.
Soil bacteria are excellent at lots of things! Greatly under-appreciated.
Thank you Berghill, jo47 & Steve Bacteria sounds good to me, I will be spreading the joy , Sorry Compost in the morning . Thank you all again T
Hi been listening to Gardeners Question time podcasts for a change, one tip they mentioned was to keep heap wetter - so tip dregs of tea, water it with can etc if its wet the rats won't want to breed or stay long there so may pass through. I'm also a countryside gardener not sure they have cleaner paws but hope so as one of my young cats deposited one on my kitchen floor, bit of a surprise first thing in the morning. Cat flap now kept shut all the time in case they are tempted. On plus side I've had issues with rats previously as kept chickens for abit, was less bothered once I gave them up, though still had ones nesting in compost bin but since I've had my two young cats now only 18 mths no sign of live ones or droppings in the bin- I'm not counting the dead one lol. Don't know if having dogs helps too but may do? - you can always borrow a neighbours if you don't want your own pets.
give the compost bin a really good soak, ratties don't like dampness then in a weeks time turn the bin, they don't like disturbance either
And give the bin a sharp rap with a stout stick every time you go past - they really don't like that
They don't like my air rifle very much , nor my little terrier . But they still don't seem to want to leave ?
If wetness drives them away why not give the compost a good soaking of urine? Will also help your compost rot down quicker as well as driving the rat out.