London (change)
Today 12°C / 7°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 7°C
8 messages
12/09/2012 at 19:00

I have signs of a large furry inrtuder in my compost heap.  As they carry nasty diseases ,can anyone tell me if it is safe to use the compost after i have got rid of it . Also any advice on how to get rid of Mr Ratty.

12/09/2012 at 19:08
Should be OK to use compost, ratty eviction is possible, please give details of compost bins ( plastic daleks, open heap etc)
12/09/2012 at 19:12

its a black dalek type .

12/09/2012 at 19:12

yes as long as poison you used is not left.we had a bad time with rats and we had to get the council in to help get rid of some of them.you will always have mice and rats around but you have to try not to put scraps of food in the compost even fruit.They also find compost heaps good for breeding.Do not leave bird food available loose.We have a neighbours cat who keeps the rats and mice under control (catches a lot).you will never get rid of them.

12/09/2012 at 19:21
Yup agree with above. The first time I got the council round he said 'if you feed birds you feed rats' I ignored his advice. The second time he came I had to admit he was right. So I stopped feeding the birds (but haven't noticed a decline.) Rats like stability, so if you turn the heap regularly, and don't put tempting bits in the bin, they'll move on. I have dalek bins and always kick them as I go by ( also encourage visitors to do same). If you contact your council, they should be able to advise on, or organise FOC eradication. Creepy, but it can be dealt with.
12/09/2012 at 19:24

my cat is a good mouser and often brings me a present. She has not as yet deposited a rat in the front room.  She managed to force a pigion through the cat flap. I am hoping the rat has got the smell of the cat and scarpered.I have stopped feeding the birds some time ago for just that reason of encouraging rats but still I have one or probably a Mrs as well

12/09/2012 at 19:29

i shall give the dalek a good kick but shall be ready to run in the opposite direction,. Best send hubby out there!

12/09/2012 at 19:31
Good plan!
email image
8 messages