Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 23 replies

Marco de Jong

An army of small, red beetles have invaded my Jerusalem artichokes! They do not seem to do any damage, but they have just been there for a few days, so the damage can still come...

Does  anybody know what they are ( about half an inch long, red) and if I have to get rid if them???

nutcutlet

How about a photo Marco

No idea but thread title was interesting........

nutcutlet

They're always know as fartichokes here Verdun. Taste like dirt and the name says it all. 

Are the bugs on the leaves or in the  ground Marco? 

Advertisement

Marco de Jong

They are on the leaves and stems, mating like mad.

LesleyK

I saw these today as well Marco and wondered what they were.  I also took a photo so I could ask tonight.  You beat me to it and your photo is better

AAll we know is that there are going to be many more of them!

Dovefromabove

They eat the larvae of other insects, so hopefully they'll be protecting your plants 

Marco de Jong

Thank you all!

LesleyK: it's not my own photograph, it's from the internet...

LesleyK

Marco 

Good news on the beetle front.  Thanks all.

pansyface

Known in Germany as Franzosen, or Frenchmen, for their er, indefatigable, er efforts. (see photo above).

Marco de Jong

In Holland, we know them as 'soldaatjes', little soldiers. May be English redcoats?

pansyface

Good old Brits. Don't mention sex, money or politics. Cardinal beetles. But that's religion and we are not supposed to talk about that either.

Advertisement

Oooh, I have these protecting my strawberries. Nice!

pansyface

I like the expressions on the two faces in Marco's photo.

Edd
nutcutlet wrote (see)

They're always know as fartichokes here Verdun. Taste like dirt and the name says it all. 

Have you ever let them flower Nut?

nutcutlet

Yes Edd, it's the best bit

pansyface

It is.

I only grow them for their flowers. They help to support the cardoons, which I also only grow for their flowers.