Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Red bugs on fartichokes

An army of small, red beetles have invaded my Jerusalem artichokes! They do not seem to do any damage, but they have just been there for a few days, so the damage can still come...

Does  anybody know what they are ( about half an inch long, red) and if I have to get rid if them???

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

How about a photo Marco

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

They're always know as fartichokes here Verdun. Taste like dirt and the name says it all. 

Are the bugs on the leaves or in the  ground Marco? 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  •  

• They are on the leaves and stems, mating like mad.

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

I saw these today as well Marco and wondered what they were.  I also took a photo so I could ask tonight.  You beat me to it and your photo is betterimage  AAll we know is that there are going to be many more of them!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

As pansyface guessed, they are cardinal beetles.  A goodie and won't touch your plants as they predate on other insects.  Lucky you!

http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/species/red-headed-cardinal-beetle

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

They eat the larvae of other insects, so hopefully they'll be protecting your plants image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thank you all!

LesleyK: it's not my own photograph, it's from the internet...image

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Marco image

Good news on the beetle front.  Thanks all.