Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Red currants

Hi

My first post on this site, looking forward to discussing gardening joys and problems. I am kicking off with a problem I have just become aware of with my two oldest redcurrant bushes. These are my two oldest bushes, Redstart planted in 2009 and a Laxton's No 1 planted in 2010. Both have been without major problems [a few aphids and occasional sawfly]  but rather slow growing since planting. This spring I have noticed that both have complete shoots that have died back to ground level. The living shoots have stunted yellow green leaves. The plants are adjacent, there are 3 further red currants [ two grown from cuttings of the sick plants] in the row all flourishing. I have looked in books about pest and diseases and cannot find anything that fits the description I have given. I have not sprayed any herbicides in the garden. The soil is heavy clay, the adjacent lawn did have some water logging in the winter but this has happened in previous wet winter without problems and the other currant bushes have not been affected.  All the bushes were treated with the usual compost mulch in early spring and a sprinkling of rose fertilizer. I have checked if there is an ants' nest underneath but no sign. Would welcome any suggestions as to what the problem is.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I'll bump this one up for you but not my area of expertise, sorry

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

Thank you

• Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

Just to update on this. I removed the dead branches and found a ring of dead bark near the base of each branch- Canker? The living parts have grown slowly and the leaves greened up, but they are still smaller than normal and funny shaped. If they were black currants I would suspect reversion virus. There are no fruits on them. My other red currants are growing better this year than previously so nothing has spread to them. Could it be something in the compost I mulched them with, this is the first year I used my own home made rather than purchased compost?