Start a new thread

1 to 19 of 19 replies

thefunrach

This plant (a red robin apparently) was planted about a year ago and hasn't grown any bigger in a year. 

Any idea of what the problem may be? 

pansyface

IT HASN'T DIED, SO THAT'S ALWAYS A PLUS.

IT IS PROBABLY JUST HAVING A THINK ABOUT THINGS.

IN THE MEANTIME, i WOULD TAKE OFF THOSE NASTY GREEN PLASTIC TIES. THEY WILL STRANGLE IT IN THE END AND REMOVING THEM WILL ENCOURAGE IT TO FORM STRONG ROOTS.

Dovefromabove

It's probably doing more underground than above, developing a good root system before it can make top growth. 

I agree with Pansy - remove the ties. Then clear the grass from around its base so there's a circle of bare soil with a diameter of at least a couple of feet, so the shrub isnt competing with the grass for moisture and nutrition. in February give it a feed of Fish, Blood & Bone as per the directions on the pack. It's a slow acting organic fertiliser which will provide nutrition for the  coming year. In dry spells give it a bucket full of water twice a week.  It should be fine. 

Last edited: 02 January 2017 08:31:52

BobTheGardener

Agree, and clearing the grass from around it is important.  Grass is a very competitive plant and uses up lots of nutrients from the soil.

Busy-Lizzie

Good advice above. Mine took a long time to get started, some years ago, but now it's big.

Advertisement

Hortum-cretae

It doesn't look very 'Red' to me. Should have red leaf stalks and dark reddish new stems and buds. Looks not quite right, although it appears healthy enough.

H-C

Pete8

I've seen many, but don't own a Red Robin - your plant doesn't look like a Red robin to me. More like a skimmia, but I may well be wrong

Busy-Lizzie

It looks like Red Robin to me, mine only has green leaves at this time of year. The new growth in Spring will be red.

Pete8

The leaves look too thick for a Photinia, but I've no idea tbh

Busy-Lizzie

Skimmias are short, round and bushy.

thefunrach

Wow. Thanks guys. I feel better now. I'll take your advice and remove the grass at the base asap. 

Fairygirl

Also - it can take quite a while for shrubs to get going above ground after planting - most of the early growth is underground as a shrub gets a good root system and establishes itself. If you follow the previous advice, you should see a bit of growth this year   

1Runnybeak1

Iv always had Red Robins wherever Iv lived and it doesn't look like one to me either.   Looks like a Skimmia or even a Magnolia ??    It,looks healthy enough so you will just have to wait and see.  I'd like to know what it is too.  

I would not want to disagree with others who are no doubt far more knowledgeable than me, but this looks like my Red Robin.   It took a couple of years to get going, but now it is lovely.   The red leaves and shoots are only apparent on new growth, so prune back in Spring and the red will appear.  Then you will understand why people like it. 

Advertisement

Iamweedy

Is "red robin"  Photinia × fraseri ?

It could be a Photinia or possibly a Portuguese Lauel but it doesn't really matter as all the above advice is all good.

In addition, I would probably snip off the top most leaves in spring to encourage it to bush out. You'll soon discover if this is a Photinia Red Robin as the new growth will be red. Its best to trim them back a couple of times a year to encourage a nice bushy shrub and to keep the new red growth shooting. Good times to do this are spring and autumn. With any luck you'll have some nice new red shoots over the winter for some welcome winter colour.

You might encounter Photinia back spot on the leaves which is very common and best dealt with by regular trimming and clearing infected leaves from the base of the shrub. A good mulch will also help.

A nice shrub. I hope it performs well for you. 

hello, I planted a Red Robin quite a few years ago and it did take a long time to get going above ground, so much so that I even considered digging it up and chucking it because nothing seemed to be happening. then it seemed to have an enormous growth spurt suddenly.

anyway, last year I had to hard prune it because it had taken over the corner of the border where it's planted !!! thankfully it has already started new growth as well

be patient, keep it well watered in dry spells, remove the grass around the base so that they are not competing for nutrients and  enjoy

shazza

xx