London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
5 messages
15/11/2012 at 18:48

Hi there. We have identified Red Thread in our lawn. At the moment there are several patches. Can anyone give advice on how and when to treat it please

16/11/2012 at 06:59

Hi

It's usually caused by poor drainage and/or lack of nitrogen. So best approach is to improve the drainage - scarify to remove any moss and then spike to aerate (you can add a mix of compost/sand into the spiked holes but simply spiking may be enough). You can hire motorised aerators of you have a large lawn but a garden fork will do the trick.

A feed high in nitrogen will help but NOT now as it is the wrong time of year and could cause more problems later on as it will cause lots of soft growth which will be vulnerable over winter. You can get autumn feeds for lawns which are low in nitrogen and applying this will probably help until you can apply the nitrogen richer spring feeds.

I think there is a spray you can get (RHS site) can probably advise but improving the general health of the lawn will often do the trick and be longer lasting.

Oh and don't compost your lawn cuttings as that could then reinfect your lawn.

Hope this helps

16/11/2012 at 08:16

Thankyou chrissieB. Very helpful. The turf was only laid just under a year ago.

01/05/2014 at 20:52

I am having the same problem but I have spiked the lawn with a mechanical machine but it is still a problem. Drainage is not an issue but my main concern is if it is Red Thread or not, Has anyone got any sound ideas on who to make an identifcation in May as I have been told it does not normaly appear unto later in the year.

My lawn is some 500 meters square in total

01/05/2014 at 22:04

Patches of the lawn begin to look sick.  Closer exammination will reveal, [if it is Red Thread. Corticium disease]  Small red needlelike growths, standing up from the leaves. Red thread will not kill your grass.  However it can for a time, distract from the nice lush green.  Good lawn care is part of the answer.  Feed the lawn every spring or summer. Frequently spike the lawn.  You don't have to apply composts etc.  Feed with something like Toplawn.  Should your soil be on the sandy side.   Avoid really close mowing.  Sandy soils will dry out faster, and close mown grasses will suffer.  Benlate can also be applied.  The unsightly visitor will go away of it's own accord.

email image
5 messages