Start a new thread

1 to 7 of 7 replies

Last autumn we decided to relocate a hydrangea to a new spot in the garden. Illness meant that the shrub was not pruned and we are only now able to carry out the work. Unfortunately, due to the mild winter, the unpruned stalks are already in leaf.

Is it safe to move the shrub and should the stalks be pruned?

daituom

To be honest I would prune it and move it now. It may not flower this year, that`s the chance you have to take.

You can move it now and give it a good prune. They can be moved anytime between october and march. You will need to be careful not to knock the buds off though.

Thanks to both of you for the quick response and advice. I'll try to remember to let you know the outcome!

Alan4711

Hi Elisnor, youv  probebly  done the plant a favour, leaving the dead heads on Mopheads gives some frost protection, remove dead heads in early spring down to first strong healthy pair of buds.   Lacecaps are hardier they can be cut back to the second pair of leaves below the head after flowering in order to stop seeds developing, once the plants are established cut out one or two older stems to encourage more growth,if they have been neglected cut all down to base for a new plant however no flowers till the following year, other types vary 

Advertisement

Many thanks Alan, it's a mophead.

Orchid Lady

I am moving one too Elsinore, it is currently in a pot at the front of the house and has been for a few years but I am moving it onto my border at the back.  I have just taken the dead flowers/leaves off and not pruned it short (although I don't know if that is right - note my name ).

I am moving it at weekend and will let you know how it gets on.  Good luck with yours.