London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
21 to 24 of 24 messages
26/05/2013 at 11:51

i'm afraid that glyphosate, like any opther garden chemical, does have a long term effect on the environment.  Just because it becomes inert on contact with teh soil and only kills the plants with whose green parts it has been in contact doesn't mean it isn't getting into water ways and water tables or being ingested by other organisms, including humans.

I know of scientists conducting environmental research on behalf of the EU and who say it is likely to be banned in the not too distant future. 

There are others who have found high levels of glyphosate in processed sugars, corn and wheat and who believe it is affecting beneficial bacteria in the human gut and thus leading to an increase in digestive problems such as Crohn's disease, IBS and even obesity tendencies - http://www.naturalnews.com/040482_glyphosate_Monsanto_detoxification.html.

I personally never buy any Monsanto products but I do use other glyphosate products where no other conventional weeding techniques work.    I would advise its use but with great care, especially near water courses and do not exceed the recommended doses.   Adding a drop or two of washing up liquid to the mix helps it stay on the plants you want to kill and do its work better.

26/05/2013 at 12:03

Thanks obelixx and nutcutlet.

Lots to think about. We are wildlife gardeners, including wildlife ponds. I know all gardens and ponds are natural to a degree, but we try very hard to encourage wildlife and not to use chemicals, precisely for the reasons obelixx has put forward.

I guess it's back to good old manual labour re crocosmia!

21/06/2013 at 14:59

Does anything eat crocosmia?  Could we grow it for cattle feed?  I have never seen anything with such a strong life urge.  I inherited mine with my house, 20 years ago.  Over years of neglect, it created its own mound of 'soil' through piling up layers of its own corms (I live in an area of little soil so likely have been spared it spreading into the lawn.).  It took a pick-axe to get the little mountain shifted, and then you can just imagine what happened!  The ones I put in a plastic garbage can and battened down -- a year ago -- are still sending pallid shoots up.  The ones I put into a plastic bag thought they had their own greenhouse and have luxurient growth.  Ditto the ones in the composter.  A lump of corms I put out to die just on the concrete is still sending out shoots.  I am now picking out the little ones coming up in the bed from which I took the big ones.  I can't even think of them as beautiful; they nearly took over the driveway!

21/06/2013 at 15:10

Hi Manxlad, I collect crocosmia. I have Minstral, George Davidson, Lucifer & Buttercup.

Do you have any I could take off your hands?

Thanks.

Molly.

email image
21 to 24 of 24 messages