Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Remove Robinia Tree?

Hi, I've posted before about my Robinia tree which appears to have succombed to the disease that has destroyed a great many of these trees recently image

Although after a slow start, it has actually been very beautiful and made a lot of growth during the year almost doubling in size (it is still a young tree).  However, brown patches appeared on the leaves similar to the beginning of this disease and they have mostly now fallen off. 

I am wondering whether to remove the tree now or whether to give it another year to see what happens and potentially have to pay a tree surgeon to take it out if it gets much bigger?

I love this tree but I need it for a privacy issue so would want to get started with another tree asap so it doesn't leave a gap for too long!

Many thanks for any advice image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I'd get rid of it. What about a gleditsia?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Abby2Abby2 Posts: 101

Thanks for the reply and the suggestion - that might work quite well as a replacement as long as it gives good coverage ..

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/355.shtml

1200cm it says here, think that's 12m but sums were never my thing. Would that be big enough?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

If it is just leaf spot disease then keep the tree. Spray it with sulpher and that should help. Hopefully next year will be less wet!

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,841

It is way too early to be killing off a tree. Wait till next Spring to see if it is really dead. There is an old saying in the Scottish mountain rescue world that you aren't really dead until you are warm and dead. The garden equivalent is wait until Spring. 

By all means buy a replacement now and keep it safe over the Winter to use as a possible replacement but be aware that trees have good self-preservation mechanisms built in and will drop leaves to get rid of a problem.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

The RHS thinks the problem is exacerbated by a cool wet summer so I'm waiting another year to see if my tree improves.  It did put on some fresh, healthy foliage during a short hot spell in August and ended up looking much better so it gets a stay of execution.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato

Thank you for the replies - all much appreciated.  I will try the sulphur and hope for the best next year.  It's the dense foliage I love about this tree - it is perfect for screening and looks so beautiful throughout spring- autumn. 

• sorry to but in hear I have just discovered that my tree has the same problem . It looks like many of the branches are quite dead the very top of the tree looks ok the rest of the tree looks to be very honest (moth eaten) . I am just wondering what to do . I have just bought Actinidia Kiolomikta  the tree that is sick is in a very good possition for maybe planting this at the base and let it  grow up and over it  What do you think out their good idea or not.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

My robinia also looks very dead this year and I'm toying with either cutting it down or scrambling a rambler up it.  Just worried about having a healthy rambler and a crumbling support. 

The sensible thing would be to get OH to cut the frisia down and find somewhere else for a rambler.................

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato

I did keep mine as it did eventually come back to life properly last year and it looked lovely albeit a few brown patches on the leaves. However, parts of the tree have small leaves developing this year but much of the tree - especially the top branches look completely dead image 

I'm going to give it a few more weeks to see what happens but may take it out as is easiest to do it now whilst still a relatively young tree...

Sorry to hear your trees have both been affected too