Start a new thread

1 to 7 of 7 replies

I would like to reduce the size of a large block paved patio in my garden and would like to lay turf instead. I have removed a small section, and the blocks are on a bed of sharp sand and scalpings. Could i get by with just removing some of the sharp sand and then putting a layer of  top soil and turf. Would this be ok

flowering rose

HURRAH!at last someone has seen sense in this awful craving for gravel,grit and paving.I can understand if you have a very small front garden or a car to put in the drive but lately all front but a lot of the gardens big or small have been taken over by this lazy mans crazy for not mowing a lawn .Who wants unnatural material that's lifeless ,grass is alive and gives life to wildlife and you.Re- move the sharp sand and put the top soil on,that's my opinion .good luck and enjoy your lawn.

nutcutlet

I'd mix the soil with the sand but I don't know what scalpings are. If it's something that improves drainage it could be good.

Hi, it appears the scalpings are a mixture of stone and clay and form a hard sub base below the sharp sand, and are about 3 inches thick. I intend to lay the turf on 4 inches of topsoil.

sotongeoff

Drainage may be a problem-4 inches of soil-not even a spade's depth-then a hard sub-base where will the water go?-and you will be watering the turf??

My guess is you will need to do a bit more excavating

Advertisement

nutcutlet

Better get some of that back ache rub in stock before you satrt.

artjak

I have a feeling that 'scalpings' come from when a road is being re-surfaced; they scrape off a layer of Tarmac first and this is the scalping. Though I may be wrong.