London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
8 messages
03/07/2014 at 20:25

We have a rampant evergreen in the front which we tried to trim back but it's all dead inside so now it just looks a real mess. We want to get rid of it and replace it with another tree. How easy would this be?! The evergreen is about 6m tall. We want a tree around this height to replace it as it provides some good privacy, but not an evergreen. Ideas also welcome on this aspect too! 

03/07/2014 at 21:09

If you have a friend with a chainsaw and a husband/partner/friend with some muscle, it may be possible to chop it down and dig out the root. Failing that, a good tree surgeon is the answer!

Small trees are not very small. Perhaps a Cornus kousa or a weeping cherry or an Amelanchier might suit. A large container grown tree will take longer to establish than a smaller one. Do you have a nursery close at hand that can supply one? It may be worth asking their advice.

03/07/2014 at 21:40
Is it a conifer that you want rid of? Thats an awful lot of work, we had to remove around 10 when we moved in, even tho we tried to get all the roots out, im still finding them 8 years on!
Would you consider growing something up the trunk after you have cut the branches off?
What are the trees that are staying? Do you want it to match and fit in?
03/07/2014 at 21:44

Big tree can take a long time to establish properly.

However if you have deeppockets you could try these

http://www.buythetreeyousee.com/taxonomy-search&term_node_tid_depth=3856

03/07/2014 at 23:11
The removal of any tree depends on your own strength and having the right tools for the job. In this case a sharp pruning saw, a bow saw, an axe, a pick and a good spade. If you don't have any of those get someone in who does.

As to the replacement, how about a fruit tree? The quince is an attractive small tree that grows into rather eccentric shapes and has early, pale green leaves followed by large dog rose-like blossoms. Then in the autumn you get quinces which look like huge furry pears. That is Cydonia, the true quince, not what is sometimes called the Japanese quince (Chaenomeles, which is a small shrub).
04/07/2014 at 07:45
Thats the trouble with this forum, every time i hear a deacription or see a nice pic ... i want one!
Kate, i think you will be spoiled for choice!
04/07/2014 at 13:30

agree - my husband likes crab apple. Also think its nice.

Heres a pic of the tree - not sure if conifer or not! https://www.flickr.com/photos/26713903@N02/14568287091/

Thanks for responses - will ponder over...

04/07/2014 at 13:34

me again - would you advise getting a smaller tree as it seems mature ones are harder to establish? Also more expensive...

We don't mind getting one that is a few m high and grows into mature tree, just prefer not to have completely new one as want a bit of privacy really...

I'll look for a nursery nearby too.

email image
8 messages