London (change)
Today 9°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
16 messages
02/05/2014 at 22:05

Hello guys,

When we moved in, the right side of the garden was full of Ivy (I think that's what it was), and I didnt like it. So after hours of manual labour we managed to get rid of it. Pulled out the stalks we could, but some were too tough and seemed it went under the flower bed. 

2 months later, can see signs of it growing back what's the best solution? 

I'm thinking of taking the soil out altogether now. on the ground floor, we can see it coming from out the ground bricked paving)

So what would you guys think the best way to tackle this?

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/44562.jpg?width=80&height=350&mode=max

Btw, thats my garden hehe, please excuse the rubbish lol.

02/05/2014 at 22:27

You will not be able to dig out the roots so you have to treat the plant with a weedkiller that will travel down through the plant to the roots - it will kill the whole plant.

Don't cut down the plant until you can see signs that it is beginning to die (probably several weeks after you apply the weedkiller). If any parts of the ivy start to grow back treat it with Glysophate again. Sometimes you will need to re-treat tough plants like ivy several times in order to kill them off. Follow directions on the packet. Be aware that Glysophate will kill any plant that it touches.

02/05/2014 at 23:56

Oh thanks. I see.

So is  Glysophate a weedkiller? If so, where can I purchase it from? 

Should I take the soil out then spray the area or spray it as is?

03/05/2014 at 00:21

We found that no chemicals really helped on their own, had a huge and very persistent ivy in my better half's old garden, and we ended up removing as much Ivy as possible, then taking a saw to the stub of root left behind and just kept damaging it & putting the chemical on it then. I'd wished we had had an axe! Took 3 goes over a few months, but it finally died. They are very hard to kill and it takes some time.  Good luck!

03/05/2014 at 06:36

I would recommend that you cut the ivy right the way down to the ground and then spray with Glsophate weed killer any new growth. The new ivy leaves will absorb the weed killer far better than older waxy ivy leaves do. You will need to be patient as it will probably require a few applications.

03/05/2014 at 08:33

I had the same problem. Bought rosate 36 from Amazon which is an industrial strength glyphosate and it is working well. Clear the dead ivy after the first treatment then keep spraying as new shoots appear. I used 50ml per litre.

03/05/2014 at 13:57
stuchers wrote (see)

Bought rosate 36 from Amazon 

Aah cool thanks, i'll be doing the same.

How much of it did you need in the end? 

03/05/2014 at 14:05

I think your ivy looks beautiful cascading down like that, can't you just cut it back where it annoys? You won't find anything else that does such a good cover-up job!

03/05/2014 at 14:55

My ivy creeps across ground under shrubs and trees and suppresses weeds. It can look good covering bare soil and save you work. Probably good for wildlife too. Certainly provides food for bees at end of year to stock them up for winter.

03/05/2014 at 15:30

whatever you do, don't compost the dead runners after the glyphosate - it would  pollute your fresh compost and make it unusable for years to come.

03/05/2014 at 16:29

Thanks alot guys. 

As always very helpful. Appreciate it.

In regards to keeping it, I just don't like the look of it. I'd rather get rid of that and make use of that space for something else (I know i wont be able to use it anytime soon after the Gyphosate) 

I'd rather plant things that I can cook and with to be honest. But that's just my opinion really.

03/05/2014 at 17:26

Glyphosate is inactivated as soon as it hits the soil, you can plant up straight away as soon as you clear the dead plants. It may take several applications though, it can't get through the waxy coating on ivy leaves very easily. 

03/05/2014 at 17:42
landgirl100 wrote (see)

it can't get through the waxy coating on ivy leaves very easily. 

The picture I uploaded was from when we first moved in, I should have said. Since then, we have removed all the leaves and most of the roots. hoping it wont come back, but it has, thats why I posted here asked for next steps. 

the roots are deep beneath the soil and seems like they ave gone through the ground 

03/05/2014 at 18:59

OK, so weedkiller of any kind will only work if the weed has leaves and is actively growing. Glyphosate is taken up by the leaves and travels through the plant to the roots. It takes a while to see any effect - weeks rather than days. Damaging the regrowth by trampling and crushing may help absorption. "Instant" weedkillers don't kill the roots.

My technique to keep ivy under control is to pull out the long growths as necessary, and dig out roots if I want to plant in that space. Ivy usually has shallow roots, the stems root into the ground as it grows horizontally across the soil. It's certainly not impossible to dig it out, but if there's any around in your garden or the neighbour's, it will come back. It is also spread by birds, they take the berries in winter, drop the seeds and the cycle starts again. It loves shady places, growing where little else will flourish.

03/05/2014 at 19:15

To get rid of ivy I sever the bottom ....leaving a few inches of wood.  I then paint on SBK brushwood killer on the exposed woody stems (try to cut as many stems as possible to treat them all). 

20/09/2014 at 14:30

Hi, I've just been trying to dig up some ivy roots so that I can erect a new fence (the ivy completely trashed the old one and I don't want that to happen again: its expensive).  Energy now drained!  (I am a 68 year old granny).  Help - what would anyone suggest is the very best next step?  What is SBK and where can I get it?

email image
16 messages