London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
3 messages
01/08/2014 at 09:17

New member looking for some advice.

Please can anybody suggest something that I can plant in hanging baskets at this late stage to replace the petunias which have gone so leggy?  I've been dead-heading religiously but it's reached the stage that I dread going out of my door to be confronted with dozens of dead flowers - each day - several times a day!  The baskets are in full sun all day so perhaps it wasn't a wise choice to begin with.

Is it too late to replant my baskets?  It would be good if it's something that would over-winter, or at least last until late in the year.

Thanks for any and all suggestions - well, not expensive ones as I have a LOT of baskets.

01/08/2014 at 09:47

If you try cutting back one of your hanging baskets quite hard and giving it a good water and feed you can see if your petunias grow back bushier. Worth a try before you rip the lot out. Try soaking the hanging basket in a bucket of water if possible to get it really watered

01/08/2014 at 10:50

Thank you, I will try that. I have kept them very well watered, although I suppose in this heat they do get very thirsty, and maybe a good haircut will give them a new lease of life.

email image
3 messages