8 messages
30/06/2013 at 09:43

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26497.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

Hello all,

We have one of these plants growing in the front garden - about early June (here in NW England) it displays a massive amount of bright pink flowers, then seems to die off to a very brittle plant - not sure what it is.

Anyway, when it was flowering, we took some cuttings and put them in a pot with a bag over, in the sun, inside the house.

It took really well, and two weeks later, there was loads of little green leaves, and it was getting nice and strong.

I took the bag off the top, and in the following week or two after, they've started to get brittle - though I noticed the parent plant has too, now it's displayed.

Any idea what I should do now?

30/06/2013 at 09:57

Hi Mozza. That's so brittle I can't see what it is.

In the house, in the sun is hard on cuttings and it looks as though each cutting has a lot of top growth, one shoot would make a better cutting than a branched stick. 

How about a photo of the one in the garden to see what's happening there

30/06/2013 at 15:10

Thanks - this is the parent plant, outside.

It's lost all the flowers now - they don't last long.

Weirdly, the cuttings did really well with a bag over, but they are slowly dying off now I've taken it off.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26512.jpg?width=304&height=350&mode=max

30/06/2013 at 19:31

I think you need a cuttings lesson but i'm not the person to give it. I'll bump you up to the top of the forum and see if someone else can.

30/06/2013 at 21:01

Is it a small Rhododendron or Azalea? If so need ericaceous soil/compost. If so, can propagate by seed in containers in a cold frame as soon as ripe or root semi-ripe cuttings in late summer. Semi ripe are new shoots that are just beginning to harden off and have not flowered this season.I think a whole branch was just a little too much for the new roots to cope with.

Can layer in autumn apparently, this is drawing a lower branch to the ground and pinning it down, can put a little soil over it and forgetting about it whilst the branch develops roots into the soil. this eventually can be separated from parent plant, takes a while though, like until next season.

Good luck

30/06/2013 at 21:11

with anything you re-plant you need to water daily until you are sure its taken ,often up to year with some plants.

30/06/2013 at 21:24
30/06/2013 at 22:03

Don't forget to use rainwater if it is an azalea/rhodi....

email image
8 messages