Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Repotting

I have been growing some scotch bonnets which are doing well. I'm wondering whether I should repot them. If so, should I be going deeper or wider (in terms of pots)?

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

The seeds should be sown about March ready for the fruits to ripen in the summer.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

These are my scotch bonnets as we speak. A few starting to turn red. They need one hell of a long growing season.

• Thanks for your help. I'm thinking of getting a portable greenhouse. Would this be any good?

No, they need to be sown early Spring, then they need warmth throughout.

The plastic greenhouses are ok for seeds, young plants etc, but I dont think those will grow well in there. 

I dont think they will over winter, I could

be wrong, see what others think. If you look at Matts, you see they have fruited and will soon be finished.

• image Chilli plants are perennial, try overwintering in frost free conditions and they may come back next spring. Don't be alarmed if they lose all leaves, just be patient and see what happens next year

• You need to pot them into individual pots and find a bright windowsill for any of them to survive over winter

Is it worth the indoor space for a packet of seeds, I wonder

• I actually am quite proud of the plant as I planted it from scotch bonnets I had eaten

I always do that with my pepper plants had some lovely long red ones this year., but sow in Spring.