London (change)
Wed 29°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
21 to 36 of 36 messages
24/04/2013 at 19:35

Sorry to hear so many of you are having problems; I planted mine about 6yrs ago & although its a robust tree, it's having a slower start than usual.

Just been out tinkering in the shrubs, and have only now noticed some new leaf buds; the prolonged cold certainly affected mine as it's usually looking a little greener by now.

29/04/2013 at 17:04

I have been following these posts and hoping......alas mine is dead after 7 lovely years and it was just coming into its own too. I hve looked at the base and there seems to be no sign of the honey fungus. The question is....is it safe to put another robinia there or am I asking for trouble? If not what other graceful pretty yello trees are a robust replacement.

23/05/2013 at 17:48

My Frisia is over 30 years old and is over 40ft tall.It has been magnificent but is now failing badly no growth on the bottom 25ft and branches are snappinhg off leaves are small and sparse..What is the lifespan of this species?.I am considering having it felled and replanting a similar variety.Is this sensible?.

04/06/2013 at 14:17

we bought one of these lovely trees last year to celebrate my husbands 50th birthday, however not long after planting it it showed signs of decline and alas it never came back this year. We've just bought another and the same as Gardening Gal I was wondering is it safe to plant in the same spot?

04/06/2013 at 15:14

I don't think it's worthwhile replanting this tree as they are all succumbing to the disease.

For similar golden foliage, though not as fine, try gleditsia instead.  Hardy and healthy and, so far, no notified diseases or pests.

04/06/2013 at 15:50

mmmm Already bought the robinia! I really would like to know if its safe to plant it where the last one was? Anyone?

06/06/2013 at 09:04

I'm bumping this thread because I need to plant my tree! can anyone tell me if it would be safe to plant it where I planted one last year which has now died?

06/06/2013 at 09:13

I can't see that where you plant it is going to make a difference to its life expectacncy. 

It might be  a good idea to take fresh soil and plenty of garden compost from elsewhere in the garden to prepare the hole and make sure it's planted at the same level it was in the pot and doesn't sink afterwards as the soil settles as this can also lead to its feet getting too wet and root rot and a struggling plant.

06/06/2013 at 09:24

Thanks for the speedy response. I thought that maybe if I removed the old soil when I dig the old tree up that, that might be ok   I've purchased some mycorrhizal fungi to use at the roots of the new one, hope this one survives and establishes pretty soon.

10/06/2013 at 22:59

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/25229.jpg?width=264&height=350&mode=max

10/06/2013 at 23:03

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/25230.jpg?width=264&height=350&mode=max

10/06/2013 at 23:54

Hope you can see from the two photos above the first one was taken in 2011 showing my fine healthy Robinias.

The second photo below was taken last year 2012 and the  canopy is thin and sparse.

This year both trees are dead.

I have replaced one with a small Copper Beech ( pretty ) and the other with a pillar shaped Golden Elm ( just as bright ).

I would not personally have advised Rodgy-Dodge to plant the new Robinia where the dead one was taken out as the spores from the deadly disease are probably still in the ground.

I have noticed that other Robinias in my surrounding area have also disappeard this year, not good!

Good luck with your new tree Rodgy-Dodge,and let us know if it survives.

11/06/2013 at 19:43

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/25268.jpg?width=288&height=200&mode=max

A rubbish photo! But its planted now

Only a little specimen but fingers crossed it hangs in there! I wonder if these problems are to do with the extream weather we've had over the last few years as to why they're all struggling and dying back? I noticed a garden near to us have a huge one with lots of bare branches to the top. I wish we had known about the Gleditsia, My husband want's to plant one of those too! I think that may be one tree to much though!

11/06/2013 at 21:59

That looks to be a grand little tree Rodgy-Dodge, good luck with it I hope it does well for you.

12/06/2013 at 07:34

thanks SB. I think thats what gardenings all about, if it works great, if it doesn't move it or bin it !

03/11/2013 at 08:05

I live in a London suburb/Kent area and have had a Robinia for over 25years in the garden and it has always delighted us with its colour and dappled shade  Had noticed in the last 2 to 3 years that leaves seemed smaller and die back has always been a bit of a problem but wasn't too concerned.  However in the storm last weekend my magnificant tree was blown completely over heaving up its roots and is currently being chopped up and removed.  I wondered why it went down when other trees around us in much more full leaf remained.  Guess it must have been due to the disease.  Very sad.  

email image
21 to 36 of 36 messages