London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
9 messages
24/05/2013 at 08:52

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24069.jpg?width=303&height=350&mode=max

On the right is our Robinia Tree....only four tiny leaves on its upper trunk! Looks like it'll have to be chopped down...is there any hope for the Robinia Trees in our area? St Albans in Hertfordshire....

24/05/2013 at 10:06

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=401

This is what the RHS says about robinia problems.

24/05/2013 at 10:31

Thank you.....that's  very interesting to read....so its looks like we'll be making a very nice seat from the felled tree - think we'll wait till the autumn....nature rules...

24/05/2013 at 12:10

You still have a lovely garden to look at judging by the pix! 

24/05/2013 at 12:58

Time to bite the bullet I think and get rid or send a climber up the corpse.

Mine is definitely a goner this year after 3 increasingly poor years.  I'm toying with growing a rambling rose up it but there's a lot of wind here and robinia wood is brittle so I'll probably end up with a homeless rambler.   

On the up side, I have discovered a baby robinia growing in the next border so I'll plant that in a pot and nurture it and see how it goes.

24/05/2013 at 13:03

I finally gave up on mine last year but the space left behind has given me the opportunity to do something different which is always good. 

24/05/2013 at 14:13

Thank you for all your comments...like your idea, Obelixx, of sending a climber up the corpse!!! But think I might prefer to look for a baby Robinia ....and as Fairygirl says we have a lovely garden ...we do have  loads of other plants ....in fact beyond the fence we've now begun to grow fruit trees - so maybe we should concentrate on them...yes GardenReg...change is good - must remember this!

Now hoping that jolly old sun will pop out tomorrow....I need to get outside and enjoy the space....

24/05/2013 at 14:53

A baby robinia will go the same way as your current one.   Try gleditsia instead.  Golden fliage and no sickness - so far.

24/05/2013 at 15:21

Thanks for the advice obelixx .....I didn't know that....will now tell 'other half'!

email image
9 messages