London (change)
Today 23°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 14°C
9 messages
23/06/2014 at 21:25

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/50419.jpg?width=553&height=350&mode=max

Help wanted.

This is my first garden. I have already built a raised veg patch which is coming on lovely!

However as i started to dig up a bit of the lawn for flowers and trees I found lots and lots of roots. There is a huge tree on the other side of the wall (council owned that I cannot touch) and also ivy, I wondered how best to tackle these roots?

And/or whether they need to be tackled at all, there seems to be no apparent damage to the lawn as of yet. If I am to plant wall climbing trees of my own here will their growth be restricted because of this?

Any help at all would be great as I have literally no idea how to go about this!

Thanks

23/06/2014 at 21:43

Hi eddm, welcome to the forum

I'd remove some of the roots, you'll break them when you dig anyway.

Soil next to a wall tends to be rather dry. I suggest you make that border quite a bit wider so you don't need to plant close to the wall. It will be better for the plants and look less 'mean'

Give it a good dig and get some muck/compost in there if you can.

23/06/2014 at 22:03
Im with Nut on this one, also, small roots will only get bigger!
23/06/2014 at 22:16

Well from the picture.  I'd say tree or vine roots.  Also it looks as if they have already been chopped off.  Sometimes these remaing roots will shoot and start to grow. Dig out all you can.  If the parent plant,tree shrub etc is growing the otherside of your fence.  I believe you have every right to prevent it invading your property.  From a legal point. SAbove ground any growth  encroaching upon your property can be cut back.  The cuuting must be returned to the owner, otherwise technically you could be charged with theft.   However it still remains very much in the clouds.  How high up must a line/ dividing point be instituted asto what is your property.  Who knows?  In all honesty.  I would take it that if next door's plants are growing through your fence or underground into your plot. Then you must have the legal right to call a halt.

24/06/2014 at 10:44
24/06/2014 at 10:48
ahha thankyou.
will the roots damage any new plants that go in?
i am wanting to trail trees up the wall so will need to plant near anyhow. i will extend it a bit tho if it will help.
24/06/2014 at 11:38

It will do more than help if you extend the border. It will be the difference between success and failure

Plants to go  up a wall shouldn't be planted right up against the wall, the soil will be dry and the roots of the tree next door will be competing as well, The tree will still be there and using water and nutrients, removing a few superficial roots will make no difference to the tree.

The roots of your plants will be restricted by a wall on one side, they need space all round.

24/06/2014 at 11:59

Hi eddm,

I've got a similar situation with my neighbours tall conifer hedge planted on their side of the boundary fence where there are roots stretching several feet into my garden. 

It makes digging difficult but now I've planted the border up with perennials, I won't have to bother with it so much.

I cut some of the roots off where they had come above ground with me turning the soil over but the vast majority are still in the ground and seem to have no effect on the soil quality.

However, as Nutcutlet has mentioned above, the soil closest to the fence/hedge does get dry and this is a north facing border. 

24/06/2014 at 19:01

Okay, I will extend by almost double then as I obviously want my trees to live well!

Thankyou all for your help.

email image
9 messages