Start a new thread

1 to 12 of 12 replies

Is it possible to train a climbing rose (New Dawn specifically) into a free standing arch ? Much like an apple arch/tunnel? Perhaps a better question would be how old can a rose cane get before it stops producing flowering buds? If you trained a main frame (eg an arch), could you keep deadheading/cutting back to the old frame? Or would it stop flowering? Hope this makes sense to someone on here

Where I grew up as a child we had a New Dawn trained over a rustic arch. By the time we moved the arch had almost disintegrated and it was more a case of the rose holding it up than vice versa

Sounds exactly like i imagined. wood doesnt last forever and those cheap metal tube arches are worthless, hence the idea of a self supporting arch. thanks for the push buttercup (i keep toying with the idea but then get put off incase ... xyz. Heres hoping !!)

Pete8

Sounds lovely - I've got a New Dawn on a fence.
No reason why you can't train it over an arch - you'll need 1 either side. Just a matter of keeping on top of the pruning a couple of times a year. 

A wide-ish arch is a good idea with roses if possible, to keep away from the prickles

Initially i would put up a wooden arch way to train it to but eventually the Wood will rot away, im hoping that the rose would, by then, support it self and be free standing

Advertisement

Pete8

I done exactly that with a star jasmine.

It works fine, but there are bits of the old frame entangled here and there.

Thanks pete :) time to get planting

Pete8

Go for it! It'll look cracking - just keep on top of the pruning.

I can see it already - 

One can dream 

Dovefromabove

Don't want to be a pessimist ... but I don't think a climbing rose will ever be self-supporting enough to form an arch without support ... however, you may prove me wrong

I disagree with your opinion of 'cheap metal arches'...had ours 20 years, with a Frances Lester rose trained on it. It cost around a tenner from Homebase or B&Q! Still going strong.

I doubt any rose will form a self supporting arch but you can dream!