London (change)
Today 29°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
10 messages
27/09/2012 at 10:10

I just planted my first rose plan (tea hybrid)t 2 weeks ago. Not long after that, I discovered the leaves were getting black spots. I sprayed some 'Rose Clear Ultra' a week ago. Now, a week later, more leaves are having black spots. What shall I do to it?

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/12063.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/12064.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

27/09/2012 at 11:08

It should survive. Black Spot is about the most common rose problem.

There's not much you can do once the disease is in place. You can't kill it off. Bear in mind, too, that you can spread the disease via your hands and things like secateurs. The rose will shed its leaves for winter. Gather up all the diseased leaves, destroy them, and always try to keep the surrounding area clear of diseased bits of plant.

Spraying against any fungal disease has to be preventive - which is to say, before the symptoms appear. So if you spray next season, start early.

27/09/2012 at 12:31

For the  first year ever my roses got blackspot. Spayed them with no luck. Will spray them earlier next year. thanks Italophile

27/09/2012 at 13:58
Thanks Italphile for taking time to reply. Good advice!
27/09/2012 at 15:15

I've tryed everything but the only thing that seems to work but not 100% is Jeyes Fluid

the Discinfectant, or washing up liquid plus water spray it keeps it down but  doesn't

cure.

04/05/2013 at 10:48

Black spot seems to start really early, disappointed to read there is no way to prevent, once it appears.. Heading out to the garden now

weather here in Dun Laoghaire is perfect

04/05/2013 at 11:11

Lots of useful info here http://www.rosemagazine.com/articles02/pages/blackspot.asp and buying resistent varieties certainly makes a difference.  

Sadly one of my favourites, Mme Alfred Carriere, has proved to be very susceptible.

As has been said, garden hygiene is a good preventative - this means picking up and burning all affected leaves when the fall off the bush.  

Mulching over winter and spring helps prevent the spores from reinfecting the plant, and don't forget that a strong and healthy plant will have much better resistance to the effects of black spot, so when you plant your roses prepare the soil well and remember to feed them.

And on the bright side, the reason black spot is more prevalent than it was in our parents' youth is because of the improved quality of the air we breathe - when it was full of sulphur and smoke from coal fires the black spot fungus couldn't cope 

04/05/2013 at 20:53
kathleen salter wrote (see)

I've tryed everything but the only thing that seems to work but not 100% is Jeyes Fluid

the Discinfectant, or washing up liquid plus water spray it keeps it down but  doesn't

cure.

What solution of Jeyes fluid do you use, please, Kathleen?

04/05/2013 at 22:25

As I have ranted before, this year's Roseclear3 formulation is half the strength of last year's in that for the same price you will only be able to make up half the volume of spray!!!  WHY!!!!

05/05/2013 at 07:44

I do know that Roseclear was banned in 1996 and must have been reformulated at that point; and that in 2010 it was reformulated because of an ingredient called Bifenthrin. Maybe the reduction in strength is because of ongoing problems?

email image
10 messages