London (change)
Today 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
16 messages
16/07/2014 at 17:12

Hello. Are there any rose experts on here?

I have a container rose (Special Child) that is showing signs of some sort of deficiency but I don't know which one.  The rose bush has been feed twice this year with Top Rose (in March and April) and has had some amazing blooms on it this year.  

Does anyone know what this is and if so, what do I need to do.

It's a very special rose to me and would welcome any help.  

Many thanks

Heather

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/52739.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/52741.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

Edd
16/07/2014 at 17:16

I don't think it is deficient in any thing i think it is under greenfly attack.

16/07/2014 at 17:16

Hi Heather, I'm no rose expert, but looks a lot like powdery mildew to me.

Edd
16/07/2014 at 17:27

Actually i think it is more likely to be spider mite damage

16/07/2014 at 17:30

I've just had a look for any pests, and other than a few ants and the occasional sawfly I see hanging around, I can't find anything else which surprises me. 

Edited to say that the rose was feed in March and July (not April). 

Edd
16/07/2014 at 17:46

You do have black spot so it could be the early symptoms of that.

16/07/2014 at 17:48

Some of my roses are in quite shady areas and some of them display the same symptoms.

16/07/2014 at 18:25

Oh . Is there anything I need to do to help minimise the spread.  Have heard that a milk/water solution can help?

Does Rose Clear work?? Is this safe for bees?

16/07/2014 at 20:10

..I would say that is suffering from mineral deficiency, especially magnesium and/or possibly rust disease..

..in the first instance, I would give a foliar feed using Miracle Gro liquid feed [the one you mix with water], and I would also feed the roots with it too... meanwhile I would cut off all those affected leaves and bin them... if the problem persists then yes Rose Clear, which deals with rust would certainly be worth using there, however this particular rose isn't inclined to develop diseases such as that..it's not known for it as far as I'm aware from those I know that have The Pilgrim in their gardens...

..whoops sorry...lol.. I've just realised the rose is called Special Child... I'm afraid your user name confused me there... so yeah... try Rose Clear too just in case it's rust... I don't think it does any harm..

16/07/2014 at 20:36

Thanks guys.  Going shopping tomorrow 

Best wishes

Heather x

16/07/2014 at 20:42

Can I jump in re rose health? just noticed my scepter'd isle has 2 stems that are yellow going into very dark brown, 1 is a short stem with no leaved, the other taller with leaves, bought as bare root, planted on April, had a couple of flowers and some more buds on now, shall I just prune the affected stems right down? Only fed with general granular feed once a month ago, mulched heavily ehen planted

16/07/2014 at 20:49

Pilgrims thats magnesium deficiency a general rose feed will sort that or epsom salts and a good mulch with FYM.

16/07/2014 at 20:49

PS: I have changed my user name to avoid confusion

16/07/2014 at 23:12
Looking at the photos. Am I right in assuming that all the foligae pictured, is in fact on the same plant. If so. Then not all the leaves asre affected. To be short and to the point. There is no way that the damaged, infected leaves will ever recover. The damage is done. The natural method by which the leaves are fed etc, has closed down due to the infections. In a short while these leaves will fall. To avoid further infection to the plant. Remove the infected leaves and burn them. Then you can resort to Rose Clear etc.
16/07/2014 at 23:44

rosemummy,

yes prune out those shoots, they're only going to die off anyway... it happens...

18/07/2014 at 18:48

Thanks salino rest looks fine when I find out wher my brother hid my secateurs I'll do it ASAP

email image
16 messages