Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Rose Mme A. De Carriere constantly pest ridden

Just that really.

Got this lovely plant for a north facing fence where it can scramble up to the light.

It is in its 3rd year and has yet to flower (though have read that they can take that long to get going).

For this reason, I had only lightly tidied it up at the end of the season, rather than giving it a harsh prune.

it has produced some immensely long stems in barely a few weeks, which I've trained along horizontally, to encourage more side shoots.

Sadly, I had a bad infestation of red spider mite earlier in the spring which I treated, but ever since then this road has been literally plagued by pests: powdery mildew now it's has been dry for a few days, black spot, caterpillars galore. 

I have sprayed with SB Invigorator spray all spring, which worked, then seemed to stop working! It is based in plant oils. I have also tried soaring with fungicide which controls it all for a little while. I try to hold off with insecticides and don't even own any, but when the RSM struck, I relented, as so many if my plants were sick.

my garden is tiny and rather sheltered, with one half in very hot sun and the other (where this rose is) in moist shade and some dappled sunlight.

I got so fed up with it yesterday that I hacked it down to the ground image which I'll probably get told off for now!

Hoping to give it a boost and remove a lot of the pests. 

Help image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Mme Alfred Carriere  has very soft leaves - I found that sawfly caterpillars loved it. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Hello Dove image

Thanks for that. Maybe I have those too....no idea what they look like, but leaves have been chomped through everywhere.

Guess I could use nematodes.

do you still have yours and did it get plagued with fungus?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Hi Jess image

That rose is in a previous garden - apparently it still gets attacked by sawfly from time to time, but grows fresh leaves and flowers like mad - mind you it was planted in 2001 so it's had time to turn into a substantial plant.  

I think some roses do take a time to get going and build up the strength to outgrow their attackers.  

The sawfly used to turn the leaves into skeletons. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Aaah, thanks Dove.

must be the one I have then - skeletal leaves are the norm.

so nice that you still keep in touch with the old plants in your old garden image