5 messages
15/06/2012 at 12:22

Hi I have a rose bush which I planted last October, it seemed to start growing ok during spring (about 2 foot tall - is this normal?), but I am forever brushing off aphids and putting ladybirds near it!  Over the past couple of weeks I have noticed loads of buds forming on it, however these are still really small and don't seem to be getting any bigger.  Also I have just noticed there are a few white spots on some of the leaves.

I have read all sorts about the various diseases, fungal problems and pests etc you can get with roses and am a bit confused as to what is best to do!

Thanks

15/06/2012 at 12:29

Dont panic-the weather has a lot to do with it -we need some warm sunshine -a lot of the flowers on mine have got so sodden they didn't come out properly and fell off.

Roses are pretty tough -a few white spots- unless it gets worse- is probably nothing to worry about.

19/06/2012 at 13:05

Thank you for the reassurance and apologies for the late reply!  Yesterday I noticed a couple of the buds getting a little bigger so fingers crossed!  I have cut a few of the really tight buds off as the plant is only quite small so am I right in thinking this is the correct thing to do so it can focus it's energy on the bigger buds?

Also, how much sun does a rose bush need?  Mine gets full sun for about half the  morning then again later in the afternoon - is this enough?!

Or am I just worrying too much!

19/06/2012 at 13:22

You are a worrier

There is no need to remove buds unless you are growing for showing-just let them develop and yes it has enough sun.

When the the flowers start to go over then remove them for a second flush of flowers

-relax and enjoy your rose

19/06/2012 at 14:27

hehe thanks, yes I will just enjoy it now! and the weather seems to have got a bit better here now too

email image
5 messages