Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

roses and climbing roses

Hi my neighbour has climbing roses does anyone no when they should be cut back ??and also what climbing rose would be best for a shady part of garden??  Thankyou

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

Climbing roses need to have their stems tied in to a framework or support before the autumn gales so that their branches do not get damaged.  Any surplus or unwanted branches can be cut off then.

The main pruning is done in spring to remove older stems and damaged stems as they flower on new wood.  The trick is to tie the stems as horizontally as possible a sthis helps the sap flow more easily and promotes the growth of flowering stems.  There's some advice here - http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=189

Varieties for shade include Albéric Barbier, Golden Showers, Souvenir du Dr Jamain, Guinée.  Try websites from ros egrowers such as David Austin, Peter Beale and Harkness for info on colour, perfume, disease resistance, repeat flowering and more varieties.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I tend to go to rosebuddies.com for advice on roses, or phone them on 0800 0357673.

• Thankyou millions for the advice obelixx and artjak will defo pass info on and use the sites you both provided and did i say THANKYOU both so much. this site is so amazing image

• Hi all, 

I have a rose 'blue rhapsody' which I bought in the summer from a local rose society.  It's had 4 lovely flowers this summer, though they were suspiciously less blue than the plants displayed at the show!

It's finished flowering now, and has picked up blackspot.  I was just wondering, when I should prune it and if I need to treat it with fungicide now or wait until next spring?

Thanks,

Laura

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802
    L George wrote (see)

Hi all, 

I have a rose 'blue rhapsody' which I bought in the summer from a local rose society.  It's had 4 lovely flowers this summer, though they were suspiciously less blue than the plants displayed at the show!

It's finished flowering now, and has picked up blackspot.  I was just wondering, when I should prune it and if I need to treat it with fungicide now or wait until next spring?

Thanks,

Laura

The optimum time to prune roses is around February before they come into growth when you can see where the buds are-leave it alone until then

As regards blackspot at this time of year pick off the affected leaves and bin or burn them-you can start a spraying regime next year-there is little point now