London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
12 messages
04/10/2013 at 00:02

pretty disapointed...have tried so many times over the yrs to no avail...BUT this yr I thought whoopee... had them in a pot covered with plastic pot.. all started to grow but now they have gone black.. what is i am not doing right..

04/10/2013 at 06:54

Hello jean6,

Some rose varieties will take easily and some just refuse to play.

I find the best way to take a cutting is to find a stem without a flower bud, about 8 or nine inches long and about as thick as a thin pencil. Pull it off the parent plant so that a little heel of the old wood is still attached, trim that heel a bit so that any wispy bits of     stuff are cut off, pull off all but the top set of leaves and cut the top leaves in half crosswise. 

Then find a quiet spot in a border where you know you won't be digging, moving other plants, hoeing or generally messing about for several months. Ideally, the spot you choose should be a bit gritty and slightly shaded but not completely so. Push the cutting into the soil so that several of the leaf joints are buried in the earth. 

Go away and leave the cutting alone. Don't be tempted to dig it up if it starts to grow. Leave it until the spring.

Voila!

04/10/2013 at 11:43

With very little knowledge at all I took a few back in august, dipped them in rooting hormone and put them in a pot of compost which I left in pretty much the sunniest spot of my garden for a few weeks.

Then I read about stripping all but the top 2 leaves and putting them in partial shade (did I mention I used stems with flowers on?) so removed a couple that had already died and stripped the others. After a few weeks 2 more had clearly faltered, but the last one is growing strongly and has put out new leaves, it looks good.

I'm not sure why you covered it with a plastic pot, I just put mine in area partially shaded by trees, and despite doing everything wrong 1 out of 5 has taken - I wonder if you are being too protective and just need to let your cuttings get some fresh air and filtered sunlight?

I have been meaning to take some more cuttings but have not found time - have I left it too late now?

04/10/2013 at 11:46

Comingup time for hardwood cuttings Boater, that works with roses.

04/10/2013 at 14:20

thanks to u all for your help...Nutcutlet...how do u do your cuttings as i can try some more now if its time...

04/10/2013 at 15:32

Hi Jean6 a couple of years ago Monty Don showed how to do rose cuttinsg and he made it very simple and clear. I managed to get a couple to take and they are now in bloom

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/32113.jpg?width=496&height=350&mode=max

!I did mine outside in some well drained soil (and basically forgot about them for a year!) You might be able to find it again on this site.

Good luck

04/10/2013 at 22:49

I'm not the person to advise on cuttings but Monty Don will show you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAC2BqCUWQM

05/10/2013 at 10:55

just looked at link u gave me... i remember  watching it.. will try yet again..but guess what..this morning went down the garden only to find my husband without my say so had cut all roses right down the stupid man..just hope now frost does`nt get in.. angry ! oh yes.. so now nothing to take cuttings of..

On the brighter side I have ordered  The Mayflower rose... with very sweet scent...

ah, it is bare rooted & will be delivered in Dec.. never had them that late so do i plant it or what... maybe in the shed for winter.. anyone know..

05/10/2013 at 11:21

Plant it. it's the traditional time. Not if it's frozen or flooded though. 

05/10/2013 at 12:17

I've got a Mayflower - it's a lovely rose - grows a bit leggy to start with then bushes out.  Looks gorgeous with blue geranium Rozanne nearby

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardens/Hyde-Hall/About-HydeHall/Plant-of-the-month/July/Geranium-Rozanne-(%E2%80%98Gerwat%E2%80%99).

05/10/2013 at 13:43

thanks for info on when to plant etc...am going to plant it in FULL view so my husband does`nt get shear happy with it.. others were further down the garden...

funnily enough I have that geranium (blue) just where i antisipate the rose going...

Thanks for info that rose gets leggy b4 taking off...am looking f/wrd to smelling it..

05/10/2013 at 13:44

by the way everyone is`nt the weather fantastic for this time of the year...still have`nt used my coat yet & long may it stay hanging up...

email image
12 messages