London (change)
Today 12°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 5°C
7 messages
19/06/2013 at 13:06

Hi  Gardeners, I have rust spots on my roses, is there something I can use that will feed them & get rid of the spot?

Also does washing up water ( grey water) get rid of green/white flies?

I see so many rose feeders makes my head spin & i end up buying none. What is a good all round feeder for roses?

Roses are my fave plants, so this might be an ongoing thread.

Thank you.

Molly.

19/06/2013 at 13:49

I find the best thing to do with greenfly is to brush them off with my fingers (or even a soft brush if you're squeamish) - leaving a few for the bluetits and ladybirds.  I did this to mine a couple of times afew weeks ago and there are hardly any greenfly there and certainly no damage on the roses.

As for feeding them, I mulch with well rotted farm yard manure in the autumn and top dress with Fish Blood and Bone in the spring, with maybe a little more no later than late July.

As for the rust spots, is this black spot?  There's not a lot you can do about this other than ensure you rake up dropped leaves in the autumn and destroy them.  Some roses are more susceptible to blackspot than others.  It used to be less common, when the air was full of sulphur smog from coal fires.  It's the lovely clean air that we breathe nowadays that lets the blackspot spread.  Swings and roundabouts!

19/06/2013 at 15:41

Hi Dovefromabove, yes it's black spot. So it's nothing that will kill the roses?

Thankyou for taking the time to reply.

19/06/2013 at 19:22

If you love roses and don't want to have rust and black spot spoiling your enjoyment I am afraid there is no substitute to spraying with a specific product for these. Feeding, mulching, clearing up and lots of water (roses are suprisingly thirsty even if they don't show it) are all good things to do but they are insufficient for these problems. I use Roseclear3, which you can find in all Garden centres. Also invest in a quality sprayer for using only with this product. If you have a lot of roses get yourself a 5L one.

It is important to spray very early in the season, just as the first signs of leaf/bud is showing.  Spray above and below the leaf surface.This gets the rose off to a lovely clean start for the year. Also there are few insects around then. Then spray  at least a couple more times at say 6-8 week intervals, trying to pick times when insects are not around in large numbers. You will soon learn what spraying regime suits you. Your roses will soon tell you if you get it wrong.

20/06/2013 at 15:40

Hi Wonderboy, I do favour roses. The black spot does spoil the foliage, especially bad on the old roses, I think they are very old, the old type of t-rose. I have brought about 6 this year, all doing well, well they are enjoying this rain, after yesterday being the hotest day of the year, I nearly lost my tomato plant.

How would one go about moving a rose bush?

Thankyou for your advice.

Molly.

20/06/2013 at 19:38

Rose growers lift and post bare-rooted roses when they are dormant , usually around November. So that's probably the best time for we amateurs to move them, and you can lift a nice big rootball too. Take extra care of them for the first year with watering, mulch, feed , spray etc and you should be OK

21/06/2013 at 15:50

Thankyou Wonderboy, will try it later this year.

email image
7 messages