Start a new thread

1 to 13 of 13 replies

Hi All, i have a number of rose plants in  my garden but this climber seems to have a problem which i cannot identify, could someone please advise and help. TIA John

B3

Is it just the lower leaves? Did you splash something on it by accident?

Hi B3, thanks for getting back. Not sure what you mean by "lower leaves" but the pics show the extent of the problem as it stands today. new leaves at the ends of the branches are not affected. The only thing i have sprayed on the plant is the usual insecticide to kill off blackfly etc. Plant feed has been given but only around the root area and surrounding ground. HTH 

B3

I meant the leaves nearest the ground. The unaffected leaves look glossy and healthy to me.

Maybe someone else will be able to tell you if it's a disease.

Advertisement

I was wondering but what's the best cure and what caused it. Not on any other rose plant though.

Busy-Lizzie

Did you have that flush of hot weather where you live? Were the leaves hit by the sun when they were very new? I live in Dordogne in France and that has happened here before. Friends in England told me it had been in the mid 20s having been cold before. I don't think it is rust or even a disease, it looks physiological.

Hi Busy-Lizzie, yes we did have a recent spell of hot weather and the leaves could well have been hit by direct sun when the plant was young and only a few weeks old. I was wondering about the rust suggestion as it didn't appear typical to me hence my question.

I was considering just removing the affected leaves and see what happens what do you think.?

Borderline

The leaves looks like it's been scorched either by very hot weather or a chemical. The rest of the leaves seems fine. It does not look like rust. I don't think they distract from the rest of the plant. 

Thanks Borderline, the train of though seems to be narrowing in on the weather aspect and as i haven't used chemicals other than insecticide this would seem to be the answer. The same insecticide has been used on other rose plants without leaf reaction so we seem to have the answer.

I was considering just removing the affected leaves and see what happens what do you think.?

Busy-Lizzie

I think that would be fine, there are enough healthy leaves on the plant.

Borderline

Hi Doushkajs, if your plant looks the same as the photographs, I wouldn't really worry, but if you want them tidy, then I'm sure there is no harm in removing them. I should imagine many bushes are seeing buds at this time, so removing them will not harm them too much.

Grateful Thanks, and thanks to all those who offered advice and suggestions. Have another though but will start a new thread.