Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Runner beans

I've noticed this year that very few of my runner bean flowers are setting.  There is very little evidence of bees or hoverflies this year.  Is there anything I can do to improve the set rate apart from getting a bee hive?

• AirwavesAirwaves Posts: 82

I'm not growing any at present, but used to water at mid -day. The gentle watering caused the pollen to move and set. It certainly  worked.Another tip is to grow the beans with a few sweet pea plants this should encourage more bees and hoverflys.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

Same here!
    Grown runners for many years, never had such a poor fruit set as this year.
    Good idea about growing some sweet peas amongst the runners - will do that next year.

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • MuddyForkMuddyFork Posts: 435

Thanks, I'll try the watering idea.

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,846

My runners are looking very good with pods developing well I hear that misting the flowers with water helps them to set I haven't resorted to that myself as the plants seem to be thriving.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 9,012

I'm not growing this year, but my neighbour was complaining yesterday of the very poor set and very few flowers this year.

• Annie2810Annie2810 Posts: 30

It's not just me then! Loads of flowers (and black fly, but that's a different story!), but not much setting.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Only other thing I can think of Pansy is to give them an organic liquid feed, I'm not saying they aren't in a rich bed just thought it can't hurt the lazy things. You could swear at them imageimage

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

I read/heard recently that with all the wet weather earlier this year many nutrients may well have been washed out of the soil.
    My beans were looking a bit pale a few weeks ago so gave them a dose of phostrogen and they soon greened-up.

Trying White Lady this year and picked the 1st beans yesterday - delish!
    Not a cloud in the sky today and already 22°, so better get the watering done.

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.