Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

sad acer

My acer is about 10 years old and never had a problem until last summer when 2 small sections seemed to be struggling. A so-called garden 'expert' friend strongly and convincingly advised me to cut off the struggling sections and totally against my will I did and regretted it instantly. In February I moved the acer to a much larger 3/4 barrel where it seems very happy except for one thing. There are more sections of what seem to be dead branches and I don't know what to do. I really need expert advice please.The dead sections are not completely bare - some small branches off them have normal growth. They are in random places too. Here it is:

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Sorry, I'm not good on acers, but maybe it's some sort of pay-off for living in such a gorgeous place 

Sorry not to have a better suggestion image  Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon ...............

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• That's really funny! But if that's the case all my plants would be dead!   image

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,654

Perhaps it got too wet in the tub, during the really wet winter, and the roots rotted image

• Rio KnightRio Knight Posts: 26
    I'm out on a limb here (pun intended) but I can't help but notice a thundering Great Lake in the background and I also can't help but notice that the acer seems to be a bit tatty at the top and quite bushy at the bottom so I'm wondering if the wind whips across that lake and takes the higher more exposed branches at the top by storm (yes! Two in one post) and I know from experience they are not keen on windy conditions. Like I said it's just something to consider.
  • AlieshAliesh Posts: 179

I had one for over 20 years in a large pot. Same thing happened to mine.A couple of branched died one year,the next year the whole thing died i don't know why. Was sorry to loose it after so long !  I trimmed the branches and now i use it as a bird feeding station with my feeders hanging from it.

• The water in the background is the sea! Here's the tree this morning with the tide out. its has only recently been moved to this position. I put it here because it's actually quite sheltered. When I transferred it to the new pot in February the roots seemed fine. Do you think they could have rotted since? There's loads of drainage in the barrel and it's raised off the ground.