Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Sad acer

imageimageimage

I've only had it a few weeks, I repotted it when I bought it and it's in a sheltered shady spot.

Any ideas?

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,457

when you repotted, did you go large?  What I mean is, did you repot into a pot that was more than about an inch around the original?  If you did, then it might be feeling a bit wet. 

Might it be a tad too shady?  Can you move it to a very slightly sunnier spot and see if it responds?

Just some thoughts ...

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I think it looks perfectly fine

Devon.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

When I saw the picture, I thought, what a nice Acer, so agree with Hosta.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • Flowerlover3Flowerlover3 Posts: 219

It's lovely, did you use ericaceous compost/soil when you re potted it? The leaves look a little green, were they more reddish coloured before? If so you could try watering it with some sequestered iron to make the potting soil more acidic. Position it out of the wind and hot sun.

• SparklesJDSparklesJD Posts: 344

Cool, thanks guys.

It was probably more than I've spent on a single plant before, so I probably am guilty of being a bit overprotective!

• SparklesJDSparklesJD Posts: 344
    Flowerlover3 says:

It's lovely, did you use ericaceous compost/soil when you re potted it? The leaves look a little green, were they more reddish coloured before? If so you could try watering it with some sequestered iron to make the potting soil more acidic. Position it out of the wind and hot sun.

See original post

Flower, they were redder, yes. It's in ericaceous compost, I try and remember to water it with rainwater too. I saw a 'how to' video that said they prefer a bit of water each day to a soaking once a week, so I've been giving it a cup of water when I get home from work, I confess that sometimes this has been from the tap :/ and our water is very hard.

I'll get some iron - I have got fertiliser for acid plants and seaweed tonic already - I grow blueberries too  :)