London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
6 messages
13/06/2012 at 21:05

I have a beautiful weeping flowering cherry tree in my garden which I think may have a canker disease.  There are totally dead branches and branches with a cluster of leaves on the very ends but none along the length.  There are also eruptions of brown jelly like stuff along the branches.  I'm thinking of pruning back all badly affected branches to good wood but am worried how, when and if the tree will re-grow.  Anyone recognize these symptoms?

13/06/2012 at 22:07

It sounds like bacterial canker - you will find a full description and details of treatment here. Wait until it is dry and sunny before pruning, because otherwise you will risk introducing silver leaf fungus as well. Good luck!

16/06/2012 at 15:34

Thanks, thought it might be that.  What I'm mainly worried about (apart from the lack of dry sunny days) is I will have to cut nearly all the branches right back to the main trunk which will look a bit odd.  How long will it take for the tree to regain its weeping shape?  And will it ever?

16/06/2012 at 17:11

I can't guarantee it, but you should see significant growth next spring. Help it along with plenty of food and water. Oh, and make sure that you sterilize any tools that you use so that you don't pass nasties on to anything else.

16/06/2012 at 18:08

this sounds alot like what my mother in laws  having problems with poor tree

16/06/2012 at 19:38

Sounds encouraging.  Only difficulty now is the dry sunny day!!!

email image
6 messages