London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Edd
18/03/2014 at 19:56

Sorry. 

gardenning granny.

I spoke to fast and did not want to cause offence. but it is true.

King regards

Efdd

18/03/2014 at 20:55

I only once ever bought saffron; added it to the meal I was cooking and to my palate it made no difference in flavour at all. I think it may be more expensive than gold.

Edd
18/03/2014 at 21:45

artjak.

Its more expensive than cocaine, gold and diamonds, gram for gram.

I have to agree it does not have much flavor unless in bread? It is more or a colorant in food but don't we have a much cheaper option in Turmeric???? 

Edd.

19/03/2014 at 10:12

no offence taken Edd - just saddens me to see that large basket of beautiful purple petals against the tiny dish of red strands

saffron jelly if very nice - it is basically an apple jelly flavoured and coloured with saffron

I think the Romans mainly wanted the colouring, and one of the usual source for yellow was onion skins, so not to good in a sweeter dish!

19/03/2014 at 11:26

Yes Edd and Turmeric is supposed to be very good for you

19/03/2014 at 15:51

well I've had absolutely nothing from them! Wanted to grow them for the saffron for myself but found that calendula is quite similar in taste and smell and much easier to grow!

I shall give them to my granny who lives further south and see what she can do with them

25/05/2014 at 08:39

I'm having the same problem I brought 30 saffron bulbs 3 years ago and the first year they flowered great, but in the last 2 years all iv had are plenty of foliage but no flowers, iv even put them in pots to see if that helps but to no avail, is there anyone that could help otherwise it seems such a waist, on bulbs and I don't want foliage I would like some flowers to.????

email image
21 to 27 of 27 messages