London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
5 messages
14/07/2014 at 13:10

I have been given a Salix Flamingo plant and I would like to train it as a standard. The plant has several stems and one which could be the main stem for a standard. Should I prune the excess stems now and should they be pruned below the ground. Any advice for ongoing care would be most welcome.

14/07/2014 at 13:23

If it has several stems coming from below the ground it cannot be trained as a standard.  A standard needs to be grown from a single shoot. 

I believe that the standard Salix Flamingo seen nowadays are grafted onto a rootstock of a different type of willow which grows a sturdier trunk than S. Flamingo does. 

Hope that's helpful, even if it's not the answer you were hoping for. 

14/07/2014 at 13:25

Thanks. That is disappointing. I have grown fuschias from whips but as you say they start as single stems.

22/07/2014 at 10:58

i had two flamingo's i died, can  guide me on the watering, i think lam over watering them

22/07/2014 at 12:17

Yes, you can overwater them Chris.  They have small root systems ....unlike usual willows.......and wont like excessive moisture.  Having said that if you see signs of leaves browning or curling give a good watering then. 

email image
5 messages