London (change)
Today 26°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 28°C / 20°C
1 to 20 of 34 messages
30/07/2012 at 13:04

Noticed this morning - a recently planted tree (less than 2 weeks) has developed brown leaves at the tips of the branches - could the recent hot weather be the cause?   In a raised bed and well watered  (or so I thought) when it was planted and watered regularly since - but could it need even more?   Should I give it a really good soaking? 

Thank you

30/07/2012 at 17:57

It is still suffering from shock, and is spending all its time trying hard to make new roots, the leaves are a secondary thing for it at present.  Maybe remove some of the leaf load while it tries to settle, it will take time, it has alot to do.  The light leaves will suffer in hot wind, it needs a somewhat sheltered place to protect it, and indeed, plenty of water while it is new - but don't overwater as it needs air to the roots as well.  Give it time and patience, it will get there if it possibly can, all plants want to grow. 

31/07/2012 at 05:41

I've just bought one of these and I'm going to plant it in a really big wooden planter.  I'm thinking of putting some grit in for drainage and air.  It is in a sheltered place though.  They are lovely.

31/07/2012 at 10:51

Bookertoo - thank you for your advice.  A tall fence provides some shelter and the tree is the 'centrepiece' of  the new raised bed,  so I shall persevere!!

Andrea 3 - good luck with your tree - it will look splendid in your planter.

Thanks again

24/02/2013 at 11:12
24/02/2013 at 11:27
I grow this....it's a mouthful to say so I call it my Japanese willow. It grows well in containers or in the open ground. In a few days or so I will remove dead shoots.....almost every stem will have some..... to new buds and I pinch back the remaining shoots and this makes for a compact, bushy pink/white shrub until the autumn. It seems to tolerate fairly dry soils too, to my surprise.
26/02/2013 at 11:41

Verdun - thanks for your reply.   The tree looks pretty healthy at the moment, I'll take your advice and remove any dead shoots to maintain the shape.

Thanks again.

01/09/2013 at 14:38

I have a Salix in a large pot and have had it for a couple if months and the stems are growing like mad - is it ok to trim them back to shape it as it is very leggy? Thank you

01/09/2013 at 16:12

Brenda, what variety is yours?  Doesn't sound like Flaming to me

12/09/2013 at 20:48

Hello,

I have a Salix "Flamingo" and have planted this in a Stone Pot in my Garden. Unfortunately I have just noticed that most of my leaves have turned brown, and it is not due to being dry as it has been raining the last few days. Does anyone have any tips/suggestions as to what and why I can revive my Tree??

Suzi

12/09/2013 at 20:57

Suzy. I think  it IS cos it's too dry.  Rain is not enough to water a pot plant.  water it well....although leaves will be dropping soon anyway.

I transplanted Flamingo early this year Imto a dryish spot.  During the summer the leaves began to turn brown and crisp.  It needed watering ....it happened in that hot weather. It recovered within couple of weeks

06/10/2013 at 10:25

hi verdun is ok to prune now or spring for flamingo salix thanks

27/10/2013 at 19:23

Mine have now lost virtually all their leaves; have I killed them through under-watering or will they pick up again in the spring? 

27/10/2013 at 19:31

Louby Lou - I believe they have catkins in early spring  like all willows, so they lose their leaves for the winter- as far as I know!

Gary- I think they can be pruned at this time of year as it  encourages the new coloured growth next year, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will advise if that's correct  or not 

KEF
27/10/2013 at 21:04

louby they are deciduous. I wouldn't prune until the early spring and then reduce by about a 1/3rd. You will then get the pink colour on the new growth. I've never seen catkins on ours. If you don't prune it often, even a little trim in summer you loose the pink colour and it gets boring.

02/05/2014 at 18:39

i just planted a new salix tree and after a week the leaves are all died and gone brown, is there any salvation????

02/05/2014 at 18:56

It doesn't sound good. What sort of willow is it?

02/05/2014 at 19:02

it a integra Hakuro-nishiki

02/05/2014 at 20:40

Has it got dry jonny? this usually happens with this plant if it dries out too much, give it a good soak and trim off all the dead branches and it should recover

02/05/2014 at 21:41

I grow a couple of these. They do suffer some dieback after winter so I remove these to leave a problem-free plant for summer.

They don't like it too dry. They need to be watered very well at first.  Jonny, did you soak the rootball before planting?  

1 to 20 of 34 messages