London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
11 messages
22/08/2013 at 11:22

I have just returned from my holiday to find that my Salix tree which has been absolutely lovely this year has brown leaves that look as though they have been burnt.  The tree was watered whilst I was away for the week however it now looks dead.  Please help!  What can I do?

22/08/2013 at 11:38

It may not have had enough water so give it  good soak with at least 10 litres of water that can soak in deep and encourage any surviving roots to go lower down instead of staying near teh surface where they can dry out all too quickly.    Keep it well watered but not drowning and wait and see.  It may recover.

22/08/2013 at 11:50

Had the same problem with mine couple of years ago. Son did water it but not really soak it. Was in a pot.  Have since replanted in garden and have to give it a good soak at least twice a week in view of the lack of rain.  It will come back - trust me!

22/08/2013 at 13:01

Vicky I recently bought a couple of very young Salix trees from a store which had badly neglected them to say the least. 95% of the leaves were curled up and brown and/or dropping off altogether and the soil in the pot was bone dry. As I got them cheap I figured I had nothing to lose. Took them home, ground planted them, slightly deeper that I normally would have, gave them a good soak every day for the first week and pruned back anything brown, shrivelled or on its way to dead and they're doing really, really well now with an abundance of new leaves so they can certainly recover and seem to be fairly hardy things so I'm sure yours will do just fine.

22/08/2013 at 13:05

If we're talking about those multicoloured salix with lots of white, the white bits will burn if they get too much sun. 

22/08/2013 at 14:00

Thank you for all of your comments.  I will give it a good water and hope for the best.  It has been so lovely this year and seems such a shame.  I am sure my green fingers can rejuvenate it

01/07/2014 at 18:35

we have a lovely salix and it has been georgeous for about 10 years but it now seems to be dying what can we do

01/07/2014 at 18:39

AS PREVIOUS DONT NO WHAT TO DOWITH A DYING SALIX

01/07/2014 at 18:47

Hi Janice - tell us more about it - which sort of salix is it and where is it planted. 

29/08/2014 at 11:27

Hi I have the same problem with my Salix,  Brown curled leaves and die back on the ends of he branches on one side of the tree. There are also slight orange rest marks on the leaves and on the branches.  It cant be lack of water ...it is in the lake district and normally in soaking wet soil.   It is 10 years old, has always looked good but never had catkins.  Any ideas folks.

29/08/2014 at 12:06

What variety of salix is it Grannychris?

Is it in a pot or planted in the open ground?

email image
11 messages