London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
7 messages
11/07/2012 at 14:18
I've just planted up a bed of Salvia,something is stripping the leaves,no sign of slug activity,could it be ants ?
11/07/2012 at 14:26

No- ants will not eat plants-it is most probably slugs or snails-have you taken any precautions?

11/07/2012 at 14:34
Not as yet loth to use pesticides,Planted geraniums & dwarf marigolds at same time,no damage to them.
11/07/2012 at 14:40

Pesticides are fine if used correctly-there are wildlife friendly slug pellets available if you don't like the blue ones-depends on how you feel

They may not have found the other plants yet or the saliva's may have softer growth -go out after dark tonight with a torch and you will probably see a slug or snail having supper-then pick of and dispose in whatever way you choose

With any thing munched the mollusk is always the prime suspect and usually the guilty party- especially in a wet Summer

11/07/2012 at 14:53
Thanks for that,will try the pellets, failing their success,will send the wife out after dark !
11/07/2012 at 17:10

Going out after dark has greatly increased the number of slimey creatures, now residing in the big garden in the sky, for me. You'll also get to see which plants they're after.

I also use the friendly pellets in early spring.

12/07/2012 at 09:03
I hope to help you increase that number,have also been told that using horticultural grit round the base of the plants will help dissuade them.
Thanks for your input.
email image
7 messages