Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Saving my muddy lawn

Can anybody with lawn expertise give me some advice please.

I have two dogs who have ruined my grass by constantly running around and playing. How can I save the lawn so my children can use it and so I can have an aesthetically pleasing view from the kitchen.

I have clay soil and it has been really wet this winter resulting in lots of muddy pawsimage

The green bit at the bottom is artificial lawn left over from my parents garden. This is not an option,neither is turf.

• AllspotzAllspotz Posts: 33

Hi Cotty, we also have clay soil and go through the same thing every winter with a exuberant dalmatian.  The grass does seem to recover for summer and ditto Verdun on the mowing high.  It also means that any patches you do have are not as visible until you are in a position re seed etc. 

Good luck 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

You'll have to make a choice - either no dogs on it, or allot them a space to run on. If you can't do that or don't want to do that, it's the usual process of improving drainage and  re seeding  as Verdun says, coupled with the correct cutting advice he mentions. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

We've had a really wet Winter. I've got two chickens on the lawn that I move around, and I'm also on clay. Mine is a quagmire too. Every year I scarify, aerate and level with sharp sand, but I'm still in the same position as you. So, I suppose what I'm saying is, you can do all you like, but if we have a really wet Winter like we have, you will still probably end up with a mess.

• StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,102

Agree with all above comments but aerate the lawn , if properly done, will improve the overall drainage and air to the grass roots, this will stimulate new growth. Reseed after this process and remove excess traffic to the lawn surface. Hopefully, this will give you a fighting chance 

• cotty1000cotty1000 Posts: 293

What we are thinking of doing is forking the lawn and spreading sand and possibly lawn  fertiliser into it,then re-seed with the dogs off the grass.

Does this sound right?

• archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,155

We have chickens . Gave up on the lawn . And now have .. dare  I say it . Plastic  grass and it looks a treat

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    We always keep the dogs off the grass take them for extra walks, haven't got any children anymore grown up. But you will have to choose which you wantimage