Start a new thread

1 to 5 of 5 replies

little-ann

I have just found these on my gooseberry bush, i have looked over it very carefully and removed some leaves with them on and squished a few, they are on random leaves not really in the middle of the bush and there are none on the blackcurrant

do you think they are sawfly or something else

Fairygirl

little-ann they look similar but a bit greyer and darker heads, but someone here will be able to ifentify them I'm sure. There may be a sawfly that's particular to gooseberries so that may be it. Is there a lot of damage to your foliage or is it a bit early?

little-ann

no its not so bad i hope i caught them in time to stop so much damage, i will be doing a check every morning.

we live in a very windy spot and i understood the gooseberry sawfly didnt like to be exposed to wind thats why im not sure, but its my first year with gooseberrys although i have grown lot of other fruit

BobTheGardener

Yes, they are Gooseberry sawfly larvae without a doubt.  Good job you spotted them early.  The windy conditions may also be helping to keep their numbers down for you.  Keep an eye on them!

little-ann

thanks Bob i will keep a look out