Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Saxifrage Problem

I planted 40+ Saxifrage plants last year and they've spread to about 16 to 20 inches in diameter producing a fabulous display of flowers this spring. However I've lost 6 or more plants due them turning brown at the centre, spreading and eventually killing the plant. What's causing this ? and what can I do about it ?

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Someone gave me a big pot with Saxifrage in it last year; the same thing happened to it and I think it was just too soggy. I didn't realise that the pot had weird 'raised' drainage holes, so there was always about 2 or3 cm of water in the base.image

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Ours does that, we just ignore it and it covers up again, just give it a little rake with your fingers. Is it like this, this has been here forever. Goes brown then comes back, no probs.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hi Lyn,

it does look exacly like yours but if left it spreads amd eventually kills the whole plant.

Your garden looks great by the way.
  • Mine does the same I planted 6 months ago it went brown in the centre and I put down to extreme wet weather we had here in rochdale,so moved it to a more sheltered area in my rockery bed I did what Lyn said and scratched as much of the brown as I could it grew back and is now just starting to flower image
  • Thank you both - I'll take your advice and move them.