London (change)
Today 26°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 19°C
5 messages
30/06/2013 at 19:35

I planted a standard rose sept/oct last year. Until 2 weeks ago it had healthy green leaves. Now its leaves look dry and scorched. We have had a sunny spell but have been watering the garden every night. It had 2 bush roses either side of the standard. Why has this happened? Any ideas?

30/06/2013 at 20:22

Hi, I have noticed apparent scorching on some oak trees too, I don't know if this is the same thing. I was wondering whether, as the season has been so late this year, that when the rose has put out it's young leaves (at last) whether it has been scorched by wind before the leaves have fully hardened up? We've had quite a few bouts of drying winds in the midlands and like I say some trees have had some leaf damage like this.

Plus the sun is stronger than it would have been if the growing season had started on time. Do you get my meaning?Is it just part scorching or whole leaf damage? And are your shrub roses ok? I assume they are somewhat lower than the standard and may not be in the firing line.

30/06/2013 at 20:57

one reason may be ,if you water the roses in the day when the sun is strong you will get scorching best to water in the cool of the evening if that's what you have been doing.

30/06/2013 at 21:36

A good watering less often might be a better way to go

30/06/2013 at 21:54

yep, the bush roses are healthy. It makes sense about the wind and the height of the standard.Any  ideas of a  remedy? Its a shame as it liked lovely, the buds are still there and so far look ok.

email image
5 messages