London (change)
Today 7°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
1 to 20 of 27 messages
05/06/2013 at 17:16

Our garden is about 30ft deep, the garden opposite has a 14ft flag next to the fence - it even reflects on our kitchen floor. The owners will not move the flag and we want to screen it and the house. Chinese Privet or Holm Oak have both been suggested but can they be easily pruned to prevent becoming too dense and overhanging both gardens.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

05/06/2013 at 17:48

If you put a couple of very long posts in front of the offending flag with some trellis linking them at the top, an evergreen climber and a vigorous clematis might do the job. The evergreen to act as an all year screen, and the clematis to look great in the summer. They should cover that area pretty quickly.

I'm curious, is your neighbour a football supporter with an England flag?

05/06/2013 at 18:52

Pauline I'd agree with cufcskim but I know from experience that a war with neighbours is not desirable. RF's idea is great and simple to achieve. A photo would be helpful for us if you can. How about 3 simple birches in a row or as a little group at the bottom of your garden? Or even just one if it's not wide enough. They won't cast much shade -dappled only - and will screen the offending eyesore. Amelanchier lamarckii is another shrub/tree which will do the same thing.

05/06/2013 at 19:02

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/property/article-2023685/Why-flagpoles-new-leylandii.html

This seems to cover the subject pretty well. Sadly, you are not alone Pauline. Good luck in finding a solution. It must be infuriating.

05/06/2013 at 20:54

I have an oil tank on the decking next to my conservatory, albeit green its a hideous addition to a small back garden. No real option to move it! any ideas. Difficult as its on decking and I don't want messy screening that will only look good for the first year! Thanks

05/06/2013 at 21:02

RedD, can you show us some photos?

05/06/2013 at 21:13

Posts with trellis fixed to decking then pots/troughs/containers of whatever plants you like- climbers, shrubs, perennials or edibles. I had same problem at last house and that was what we intended doing. Our tank was slightly sunken and contained by a basic fence and I would have planted directly into ground with shrubs etc, and taken it across to the shed nearby to disguise that and link the whole thing together.

05/06/2013 at 21:20

But what would grow in tubs that would be ok for winter too?? Will show you view from conservatory. The messy item at the side is a makeshift log store but I seriously need a neat solution. I'm an iPhone user so if someone could open link and post my picture back in pls. Stand by.....

05/06/2013 at 21:21
KEF
05/06/2013 at 21:24

Pauline check out Arundo Donax.

05/06/2013 at 21:50

If it's reasonably bright Phormiums do well in pots and get to a good size especially the bog standard common ones, and there are plenty of hebes which will grow happily in pots- 'Buxifolia'-as the name suggests - is like box with some pale lilac flowers in summer. I had it in a pot at front door of a previous property and it thrived on neglect. Makes a nice rounded shape with no  maintenance. There are shrubs such as rhodies, azaleas and pieris which will be happy in pots - ericaceous compost for them. Fatsias look tropical and get to a fair size- these all prefer a bit of shade. Conifers- too many to name here.  All evergreen. 

Grasses in tall pots will work too - festucas and many carexes are evergreen. You can add other seasonal interest with bulbs in containers in front of the evergreens.

06/06/2013 at 11:21

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24892.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24893.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

I don't know if this would help, top is pic of trellis gate closed, backed with fine green plastic mesh, bottom is gate open to reveal oil tank and spare calor gas cylinder.

06/06/2013 at 11:33

thanks Mine is against the fence so would need to box in. It's just difficult as its an essential item but ugly. I try not to put pots on the decking as they rot the decking faster but its ugly and letting the garden down. 

06/06/2013 at 13:36

RedD, you could place pots in saucers and then use those little plastic 'feet' to raise them above decking

06/06/2013 at 14:16

I haven't seen big pots where the saucer could go on feet. I'm intrigued.,.

06/06/2013 at 14:23

Oil tanks certainly aren't things of beauty are they? Mine's tucked down a sort of gulley by the side of my house, you can only see it when you walk down the alleyway, and I've often wondered how to hide it. I think you've done a pretty good job with the gate (might nick that idea!). But I know what you mean, it would be nice to use plants as well. Growing something up the trellis on the gate would obviously be problematic, but as your tank looks as though it gets some sun on the top, maybe some containers up there? No idea how you would secure them, some sort of frame perhaps? And I've never heard raised pot saucers either!

06/06/2013 at 20:04

Figrat the oil delivery man told me not to put anything on or attached to the tank as its not good for the tank! I get a beautiful view of it from my conservatory as well as from the garden!!!

06/06/2013 at 20:17

Just raise the pots up on pieces of wood/ brick/ tile or the proper pot feet. They won't rot the decking unless it's poor quality and/or in the wrong location. Never had a problem with pots on decking in any of the houses I've had with it. Definitely don't put anything on top of tank!

06/06/2013 at 20:28

The wally that put our decking down before we moved in left no gaps between or at the edges and he didn't lay it with a run off so it ponds in the centre!!! I have drilled some holes but they swell shut!!! 

06/06/2013 at 20:38

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24964.jpg?width=350&height=350&mode=max

But a possible gap between tank and  conservatory? Maybe a long deep tough, with trellis, honeysuckle might do well there. Only sorts view from comseravatory, but hey ho.

1 to 20 of 27 messages