London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 16°C
9 messages
17/07/2014 at 17:58

Hi everyone, not quite sure what to do for the best ie., for some temporary screening.

Fed up of being a goldfish!! Planted some shrubs but they'll take too long. Anyone ever had synthetic hedgeing?? Or could you recommend something temporary please.

I really want to relax in the sun, but people walk past and neighbours can see me. It's cos my main garden is the front! HELP PLEASE. Many thanks

17/07/2014 at 19:53

Pending the style of your garden and your budget, ideas could be bark screening on a roll? Pretty wind breakers like you have on the beach? how temporary do you mean or would it be best to go for perm solution as better cost wise in the long run?

17/07/2014 at 20:11

Bit late to try and grow quick annual climbers now but if you install some fencing/trellis even without plants at present, it would give you some privacy.

Once you have that in place, you can then start to think about the plants to grow up the screen........come the Autumn, you should be able to plant and can then look forward to your privacy next year. 

If you post photos of the area you are concerned with, I'm sure there will be lots of advice which you can consider

17/07/2014 at 22:29

Thank you both of you.......temp would be til next year, as I have planted photinia, laurel and copper beech.

yes May get trellis but I'm very exposed. Did think of a wind break (green) that builders use, what do u think??

17/07/2014 at 22:46

You could try reed or bamboo screening - it only lasts a few years but is cheap (2m x 4m roll about 20 quid.)

17/07/2014 at 22:52

Or just provide a spectacular plant which will distract their attention? The reed or bamboo screening may be a bit cheaper than mentioned above at places like Wilkinsons. I have a similar problem in that my whole garden is sideways onto the road. Luckily my little terrace is lower than the road, but still slightly visible.

18/07/2014 at 09:06

Thank you so much for  your suggestions.

what a beautiful flower on your profile Bob, is it a clematis?

18/07/2014 at 09:10

Hope Bob doesn't mind me popping in and saying that his picture is an aquilegia 

18/07/2014 at 09:34

Oh.....very pretty

email image
9 messages