Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Secateurs

Has anyone found a pair of secateurs that they use that don't keep locking up while you use them? I have had loads over the years but no matter what design, the locking mechanism comes into play while you are using them (after you have cut something).

Tried expensive brands as well as cheap ones. Tried ones that lock just behind the blades and ones that have a wire loop at the end of the handles. But they all do the same! Even used them "upside down" but still happens but a bit less often.

Any suggestions, folks?

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Never found a pair either. I just remove the locking mechanism so the secateurs stay open all the time. Bit dangerous, but it saves a lot of hassle when using them.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

What I've done with my Felco is to take the bit that slides forward to lock, when it's sticking out, put it on a hard surface and give it a bit of a tap with a hammer.

Nothing too hard, just enough to cause it to rub a bit on the metal below so as to stop it slipping just so easily.

Devon.
  • You could try the Wolf RS2500. They are quite small, so fit my hands, and the slider for the lock is stiff so that I don't move it accidentally.

• Jardin de France secateurs with ratchet system I find brilliant! Actually all their tools are. You can buy them online, but they do great deals at the shows if you want more than one item. Their customer service is fab too, when my dad lost the spring whilst replacing his blade (totally his fault!) they replaced with a whole new pair for free! And he had them about 5years as well before needing to replace the blade.

• cowslip2cowslip2 Posts: 137

Felco, without a doubt!

• DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

And I thought it was me all these years!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I have 4 pairs, (well 3 now, the other pair went through the shredder)

The best are the unbranded ones OH got from Screwfix a couple of years ago. They don't lock up, ever.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Felco ones are just as bad at locking up as any others. I know I have a pair which I rarely use these days for that reason.

• Felco  are expensive and for me have a serious design flaw. The little "button" you use to release the blades is far too small and difficult to use. Too stiff.The very first time I used it, on the Felco stand at Chelsea, my finger slipped and I cut it! Bought them anywayimage and have continually hurt my thumb shifting it since.

They ought to know better. (and me! image)

Don't buy. There I've got that off my chest. Thanks for giving me the opportunity.