Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 43 replies

Lizzybusy

Has anyone found a pair of secateurs that they use that don't keep locking up while you use them? I have had loads over the years but no matter what design, the locking mechanism comes into play while you are using them (after you have cut something).

Tried expensive brands as well as cheap ones. Tried ones that lock just behind the blades and ones that have a wire loop at the end of the handles. But they all do the same! Even used them "upside down" but still happens but a bit less often.

Any suggestions, folks?

Berghill

Never found a pair either. I just remove the locking mechanism so the secateurs stay open all the time. Bit dangerous, but it saves a lot of hassle when using them.

Hostafan1

What I've done with my Felco is to take the bit that slides forward to lock, when it's sticking out, put it on a hard surface and give it a bit of a tap with a hammer.

Nothing too hard, just enough to cause it to rub a bit on the metal below so as to stop it slipping just so easily.

You could try the Wolf RS2500. They are quite small, so fit my hands, and the slider for the lock is stiff so that I don't move it accidentally.

Jardin de France secateurs with ratchet system I find brilliant! Actually all their tools are. You can buy them online, but they do great deals at the shows if you want more than one item. Their customer service is fab too, when my dad lost the spring whilst replacing his blade (totally his fault!) they replaced with a whole new pair for free! And he had them about 5years as well before needing to replace the blade.

Advertisement

Claire, I will look up those secateurs.  I have a habit of breaking mine on a yearly basis 

Felco, without a doubt!

DorsetUK

And I thought it was me all these years!

nutcutlet

I have 4 pairs, (well 3 now, the other pair went through the shredder)

The best are the unbranded ones OH got from Screwfix a couple of years ago. They don't lock up, ever.

Berghill

Felco ones are just as bad at locking up as any others. I know I have a pair which I rarely use these days for that reason.

Woodgreen wonderboy

Felco  are expensive and for me have a serious design flaw. The little "button" you use to release the blades is far too small and difficult to use. Too stiff.The very first time I used it, on the Felco stand at Chelsea, my finger slipped and I cut it! Bought them anyway and have continually hurt my thumb shifting it since.

They ought to know better. (and me! )

Don't buy. There I've got that off my chest. Thanks for giving me the opportunity.

Topbird

I second the nomination of Wolf as a decent mid priced secateur. I have had mine for about 10 years now & have had no problems with them whatsoever. I find them easy to sharpen and just keep them clean and oiled. I don't think they have ever locked up on me - the spring fell out once but was easy enough to pop back in and it's been there ever since.  

nutcutlet

None of those Edd. They've got a swivel of some sort on them which works well to get the angle just right. I think they came in a double pack with a folding pruning saw but it's a while ago now, they could have been separate.

I'm either lucky, weird or brilliant; I've never had the problem.

Lyn

For me I may as well buy the cheapest I can get because I am always losing them.

I have tried expensive ones and cheap ones, they all get themselves lost among the flower beds, I have found a couple of pairs when cutting down now.

I have a lovely pair at the moment, swivel handle, so nice and easy. 

Advertisement

Lizzybusy

What do you use then Joe? How lucky you are. I've been gardening for over 30 years and don't know how many pairs I've had. All lock up themselves while you cut!

Try greasing and oiling them regularly 

Lizzybusy

Greasing will not stop the catch moving into the locked position or the wire loop hooking itself onto the other handle. They are all badly designed. The ones with push locks just move by themselves so think greasing will just make them move even easier?

Singing Gardener

I'm another user of Wolf secateurs which I've had for years and they've never locked up. Also it helps that they're brightly coloured so I don't lose them as often as other tools!

Lizzy,

I use fairly basic ones like Spear and Jackson, Fiskars, Wilkinson Sword. Never paid more than £20 because I've never felt the need to (and I do lose them occasionally), but I've always got a spare or two in the van. I've a pair of Wilkinson that have just given up the ghost after 22 years.