London (change)
Thu 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
21 to 22 of 22 messages
15/05/2013 at 07:06
lucky3 wrote (see)

FORGOT TO SAY LISA , IT DOES DEPEND WHAT PART OF THE COUNTRY YOU LIVE. I ONCE QUEERIED THE " TO DO THINGS NOW ! " IN A GARDENING MAG , WE HAD VERY LATE FROSTS IN SOUTH YORKSHIRE AND IN THE MAG IT HAD SAID ABOUT PLANTING OUT SOME VEG OR OTHER  I WROTE IN TO COMMENT ABOUT WHAT THEY HAD PRINTED . I WAS TOLD TO ALWAYS GO BY THE WEATHER IN YOUR AREA AS IT CAN VARY SO MUCH UP AND DOWN THE COUNTRY. SOMETIMES I AM A MONTH BEHIND WHAT OTHERS ARE DOING BUT THEY CATCH UP !   YOU WILL SOON BE ABLE TO PUT YOUR CORGETTES STRAIGHT INTO THE GROUND IF WE ARE GOING TO GET A BIT WARMER WEATHER --- just a bit of wishfull thinking !

Hi Lucky3 - thanks for your indepth and very helpful reply, makes me feel better.  Lots of tips so thanks very much.  I think the problem is it was very warm here for a few weeks and I thought the seedlings would be ok outside, then it turned cold again and now its rainy and miserable!!

15/05/2013 at 07:33

Lisa, welcome to the forum, I sure that a lot of us are sorry for the negative comments you recieved, it doesn't usually happen

I have just re-planted French and runner beans, in a seed tray on the kitchen window sill; I'm not trusting them to the Greenhouse or the Conservatory! It has been a weird spring so that even experienced gardeners have been caught out. If you look at the back of the seed packets they usually give quite a long period for sowing seeds; I planted some Fennel a month ago and I can plant more in June I believe. The exotic ones like peppers and aubergines as far as I can work out need to be planted in a heated situation as early as February and then kept in a greenhouse for the duration unless it is a really hot summer; have only had my G/H for a year so am still learning.

Good luck with it all

email image
21 to 22 of 22 messages